We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

hi all,

just wondering if your experience on getting cheap souvenirs would be placed best at the canadian rockies or at calgary? of course there will be shops at canmore/banff/lake louise/jasper but just wanted to know if there was any cheap souvenir places that we could just bulk buy everything in one go so we don't have to waste our time going to all these places and have more time sightseeing the beautiful canadian rockies :)

I found the following places that we might check when we come back from canadian rockies and arrive to calgary

visitcalgary.com/things-to-do/shopping/souve…

Cross Iron Mills - Bass Pro shop

thoughts?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,919 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

most souveneirs will be a bit cheaper in Calgary but you also won't find tons of 'rockies' things in Calgary. There is a $$ store downtown that is good. You can also visit the dollar store in Banff. Lots of cheap calendars, magnets and smaller items for $1 but more reasonable prices then at most places. In Jasper at Maligne Canyon the gift shop is quite reasonable. you can get new calendars for about $5 that have gorgeous pictures. I think the bulk part concerns me as I have no idea what your looking for? If you want magnets and cheap stuff then the dollar store may work for you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

Thanks for your reply - sorry about the mention about bulk, it was just the usual magnets etc :) dollar shop sounds like the place to go and the shop in Jasper

Cheers :)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

You might have a look in at OK Gifts in Banff, right on Banff Avenue. That's a popular shop with Japanese tourists, who apparently have a tradition of buying gifts in bulk for the folks back home. As a result, they may be more willing to give you a volume price. In fact, if I recall correctly, they used to have volume prices posted for some items. I haven't been there in a few years though.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 15:06
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

You might also consider the Friends of Jasper National Park shop in the Visitor Information Centre in downtown Jasper. They are a non-profit group (and a registered charity) and have a good selection of magnets, note pads, calendars, books etc. and the money they make in the shop is used for park programs, trail maintenance projects etc. They don't have the super cheap, really junky stuff; it's all of reasonable quality.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

Friends of Jasper National Park at the Visitor Information Centre, in a lovely city park by the way, gets a second from me. It has some reasonable items and no junk. I think you will feel good about giving the items from there and knowing you helped support the park. Even without buying things it is a good stop for information ( and Wi-Fi ).

6. Re: recommendation on cheap souvenir shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:18