We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal itinerary for 1 week in the Rockies

Canberra, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Ideal itinerary for 1 week in the Rockies

We (my husband and I) are planning to do a self drive holiday in the Rockies from 25 August 2014 to 1 September 2014 before flying to Vancouver to do the Alaskan cruise. We plan to fly into Calgary from Sydney (Aus) on the 25th and return to Calgary on the 1st to fly to Vancouver for the cruise on the 2nd. We are interested in some walks, glaciers, and the things we must not miss. Would really appreciate advice, suggestions etc. this will also help in knowing where to book accommodation and for how long.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal itinerary for 1 week in the Rockies

Hi Donna and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! Have a peek to the right side of your computer monitor, to the "Top Questions" area, and click on the itinerary/trip reports item that you will find second in the list. There should be some info there that will help.

Generally, the usual recommendation is to split your time between Banff and Jasper National Parks, staying in Banff, Canmore or Lake Louise for a few days and Jasper for a few days. The timing of your flights may have a bearing as to which one first and last.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 16:24
Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal itinerary for 1 week in the Rockies

If you have a week anyways.. Why not fly into Calgary, tour the Rockies & B.C. while driving yourselves over

to Vancouver B.C. Take your cruise then fly out of Vancouver to back home?

Flying from Calgary to Vancouver in my humble opinion means you are missing out on so so much!!

I would think the whole purpose of probably a once in a life time trip would be to see the Rockies,

B.C. in all of it's glory..

Check out the top questions section for trip reports & best route for some ideas.. I promise you won't

be disappointed by driving instead of flying!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,952 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal itinerary for 1 week in the Rockies

With only 7 nights allocated for your land portion, my vote would be to spend them all in the Rockies and, as you are planning, fly to Vancouver. Although you would need to take 2 days of that week to travel across the province, I would still default to the full week in the Rockies and fly.

4. Re: Ideal itinerary for 1 week in the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 06:19