We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

Brockport, New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

My wife and I (senior citizens) would like to fly from Toronto to Calgary. The goal is to see Banff and Glacier National Parks. Is it possible to take a train from Calgary to Banff-to Glacier and return to Calgary? We'd like to tour around in the two parks for two day or so each, including Lake Louise. If not by train, any suggestions for this itinerary that would avoid rented car? Thanks a million for your advice! Oh, this is a limited budget trip.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Banff National Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Temple Mountain
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

You should post your question in Calgary forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g154913-i285-Cal…

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,607 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

The Canadian Rockies forum would be best for this question:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana…

I'm afraid Calgary has no scheduled rail service.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

Hi all,

I wanted to mention that we've moved this topic here to the Canadian Rockies forum as CountryWife suggested. Good luck with your research, shortgame, and happy travels!

TA_Louise

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,868 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

the train won't work on this but there are multiple organized tours that do this exact itinerary. You might look at

caravan.com

collettevacations.com

if nothing else you can look at their itinerary and then drive yourself. its a nice very scenic drive between Calgary and Glacier. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,671 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

Are you referring to the Canadian "Glacier National Park" in British Columbia, not too far west of Calgary and Banff, or are you referring to the US GNP in Montana? Assuming you mean the Canadian one, I don't think there is really any substitute for visiting in a car, since it lies between two towns, Golden and Revelstoke, BC. I am not sure if either of them has any local companies that offer guided tours or excursions. Or, as David mentioned, you can visit both as part of a multi-day coach tour.

The only trains between Calgary and Banff are the expensive luxury tour train, the Rocky Mountaineer ( www.rockymountaineer.com ) or the VERY expensive Royal Canadian Pacific. (We have done a six-week holiday in Europe for what they charge for a couple of days.)

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Montana
Montana
United States
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
6. Re: Travel to Calgary, Banff and Glacier National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:22