We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Washington DC
Level Contributor
731 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Hello!

We are planning a trip to the Banff/Lake Louise and Jasper areas for late June/early July 2014. I know this is high season so trying to get some of the lodges and specifics confirmed ASAP. We will be traveling in/out of Calgary Airport and will rent a car for the duration of our stay.

We love staying in beautiful places with excellent service and would like great hiking and overall scenery. I have 5 nights free at any combinations of the Fairmont hotels in the area (based on availability.) We aren't really looking for nightlife, etc. would like a nice place to have wine in the evenings (even at the hotel is ok) but overall we want somewhere close to some fun hikes and outdoor activities.

My thoughts on 2 potential itineraries: (we have 7-8 nights total)

Arrive Calgary (early afternoon)

Drive directly to Banff

Stay for 2 nights (Fairmont Banff) 1 full day in Banff

Drive to Jasper (Full day drive)

Stay for 3 nights (Fairmont Jasper) 2 full days in Jasper

Drive to Lake Louise

Stay for 3 nights (Fairmont Lake Louise) 3 full days in Lake Louise

OR

Arrive Calgary (early afternoon)

Drive directly to Banff

Stay for 2 nights (Fairmont Banff) 1 full day in Banff

Drive to Lake Louise

Stay for 3 nights (Fairmont LL) 2 Full days in LL

Drive to Jasper

Stay for 3 nights (Fairmont Jasper) 2 full days Jasper

Drive Jasper to Airport (Calgary- late afternoon flight)

or could take one night off of Jasper and come back closer to LL/Banff for final night so we will be closer to airport?

Thoughts? Another option with the limited number of nights is to skip Jasper, but it seems like the drive up is beautiful and worth seeing.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have been reading through and searching many of the reviews and suggestions. As we get things booked I am sure I will have more questions on hikes and other activities.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

3 nights Banff

3 nights Jasper

2 nights LL

Don't try to drive from Jasper to YYC on the day of your afternoon flight. It takes 5 hours to drive to YYC from Jasepr, you need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of a flight to the US. You will do US Customs and Immi preclearance at YYC before boarding the plane.

With only 7-8 weeks to go until your visit and Canada Day weekend being a very very busy weekend in the Rockies, you may be already late in trying to secure accommodation. Check ASAP.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
731 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

I checked last night and can get in for hotels but need to book ASAP today!

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing regarding the long drive back. I was thinking

2 banff

3 jasper

3 LL

Any reason why you pick 3 at Banff, 2 LL instead of the above.

I only added the extra night at LL because our anniversary is at the end of the trip-actually the last day- so I thought Lake Louise might be a good place to end the trip…also looked like there were some great hikes to the tea house etc from LL so maybe the extra day would be useful here? Definitely want to stay at both Banff and LL to see/stay in both locations.

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

No difference in 2/3 nights in Lake Louise or Banff. People often opt for more nights in Banff due to price and more dining options in Banff, but 3 night at Lake Louise for your anniversary sounds lovely!

BTW, before you book at the Fairmont properties, join their free President's Club online. It will get you good deals, plus free WiFi and some other perks (free newspaper).

https://www.fairmont.com/fpc/

Oh, and definitely let the Chateau Lake Louise know it's your anniversary - you might get some treats from them!

Edited: 06 May 2014, 19:21
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Your plan in #2 is fine too. I think there is more to see and do in Banff than 2 nights, but as you say the hikes out of LL appeal to you.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
731 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

so the bad news is that we can't do the Banff, Jasper, LL order anymore- it got full!!

BUT I was able to confirm first 2 nights at Banff and the following 3 nights at Lake Louise. We could do the next three nights at Jasper and the very last night we could drive back and stay 1 night somewhere else. (not fairmont?) Probably wouldn't want to be in Calgary but is there somewhere nice and recommended to stop for that last night which would be our anniversary? maybe a smaller place with great view?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Awww.

Well, it's a bit of drive, but you could try the Emerald Park Lodge in YoHo. If you did that, I would only do two nights in Jasper and then two nights in YoHo.

I think there are a couple of very nice places in the Lake Louise area - Moraine Lake Lodge, Post Hotel and some along 1A. Someone else here might remember the names.

Another option would be to see if you could get a very nice room at the Sunwapta Lodge or Num Ti Jah (the latter more for it's location - a bit worn around the edges inside).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,620 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Or head to Canmore, to get in place for a flight out of Calgary the next day.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Cathedral Mountain Lodge is another in YoHo.

Baker Creek Chalets between Lake Louise and Banff is one of the ones I couldn't think of before.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Vancouverite - the OP's wedding anniversary is the last night and since they aren't flying out until late afternoon, it would be nice to have someplace a bit romantic.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary

Are you absolutely sure you can't find a room for your last night at the BSH or CLL?

You didn't mention specific dates, but said late June/early July. According to the Fairmont website, there is availability at Banff Springs from June 24 right through to July 12. Same with Jasper. Lake Louise does have some sold out dates, but only on June 25/26 and July 4. The rest of the dates have some sort of availability. Or are you saying they don't have availability for the specific room type you're looking for (some nights, they are sold out of the cheaper rooms) or don't have availability to redeem your free nights due to some capacity limit on the free nights?

There should be rooms available. Worst case scenario is you need to book a more expensive room than you would like, but then, it is your anniversary!