We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning a 9-day trip to Lake Louise, Jasper, and Banff in September, and I'm trying to find some books on how to best photograph those locations. I did see the Darwin Wiggett e-books, which look great, but I'm looking for a 'real' book that I can bring with me. His paperback version costs about $175 on Amazon!

Anyone have any suggestions (in addition to the great tips in these forums)? I'm the kind of person that likes having things written down, as my memory isn't too great!

Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

Hi! I was hoping someone would step in with an answer for you, but I really can't recall seeing any books on this subject... HOW to photograph the Canadian Rockies; all I recall seeing are the many coffee-table books that are collections of beautiful photographs. I browse at the Friends of Jasper store regularly, and I think if any place here in Jasper had something like that, it would be them, but I don't recall every seeing anything like that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,658 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

Here is a TA activity about Photo Tours in the Colorado Rockies.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60945-d20…

My suggestion is you click open the company website and contact the tour guide with your question. It might be a long shot to try to translate between the American Rockies and Canada's Rockies, but nothing to lose really. The tips should be able to be transferred to mountains further north you would think.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

hi

What you really need to be able to get the best photos of the Rockies is the LUCK of having great sunny days with partial clouds. Books will not help if you are touring on rainy or full cloudy days.

1, you first need a good DSLR camera with a min 18-55mm and, a long range lens that is at least 200mm will help if you want details of glaciers and photos of bears etc.... The image size setting matters if you plan on printing or processing the photos via photoshop. If you are only going to publish them online shooting at 2292x2000 is a good compromise. Get a high capacity SD card or more than 1 if that is your only storage. I download to a laptop everyday so a 4GB card is never full. Get 2 batteries or charge every night.

2. you should learn how to use a stitching program. Digital cameras usually come with one. . the program that came with a Nikon is called Panorama Maker 4 by ArcSoft. the max # of photos that can be used for stitching is 16.

3. practice doing panoramas before you get there. Start by scanning across the panorama you want first, it helps to make sure all the peaks of the mountains will be in the shots. Then a steady hands helps when you take pics left to right. (or use a tripod) You need some overlap of the shots for this to work (about 1/3) . You can also stitch photos up and down i.e the lake at the bottom the mountain peak in the top shot.

4. these are photos taken last week using a sticking program - most are composed using 2-8 shots. https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbaarch take pictures of signposts before you take the shot; it will help later when processing.

5. I also use the movie mode - this helped at places like the Athabasca waterfalls since the sound of the water is needed to complete the experience.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 15:50
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

Cloudy days are nice for forest shots and photos of wildflowers. A DSLR is nice, but you can take perfectly good photos without one; as a friend often says, it's what's six inches behind the camera that takes the picture.

5. Re: Books on how to photograph the Canadian Rockies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:16