We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Touring

melbourne
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
October Touring

Dear Forum,

we will arrive in Jasper on the train on 15th October pm, and intend to spend a week touring Jasper and Banff using a rental car. We will leave Jasper on 22nd October pm on the train to Toronto.

Given the lateness in the season and impending closure of attractions, what is your suggestion as to itinerary timing? We want to visit as many popular attractions as possible, so should we head south to Lake Louise and Banff straight away and spend a couple of days in Jasper at the end of the week?

Many thanks for your advice.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Touring

I'm not sure about "impending" closure of attractions... by that date, almost all of the seasonal attractions (and roads) will have closed. The only one that will still be open is the Columbia Icefields sno-coach tour, which ends its season on Oct. 19th.

melbourne
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Touring

Thanks for your reply.

From my research the following will be open before 19th October:

Columbia Icefields sno-coach tour

Glacier Skywalk

Banff Gondola

Cave & Basin

Access to Lake Minnewanka

Banff Hot Springs

Icefields Parkway

Moraine Lake Road???

Jasper Tramway??

Maligne Lake & Canyon

Will this be enough to keep us occupied for a week?

Do you think a day in Calgary is worthwhile before returning to Jasper?

Many thanks for your advice.

melbourne
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Touring

I couldn't edit it.

I have found the information at:

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g659487-c112507/Ca…

Most helpful. Many thanks to the authors.

Should I schedule a night at Lake Louise or is Banff and Jasper adequate as we will travel Icefield Parkway twice (I assume)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October Touring

The Jasper Tramway (now reverted back to their earlier name, Jasper Sky Tram), usually closes immediately after Thanksgiving weekend. Just checked their website, and in fact, that is also the case this year - closing date is Oct. 13. www.jasperskytram.com/visit/tickets-and-hours

I am not sure about the Moraine Lake road - I would imagine it is weather dependent. At that time of year, snow would start to accumulate at the higher elevations like Moraine Lake, so rather than plough the road, they will close it.

Maligne Lake and canyon are "open" and accessible year-round. What isn't open after Thanksgiving weekend is the restaurant and gift shop at Maligne Canyon, and the boat cruise operation at Maligne Lake and all the accompanying services (gift shop, canoe rentals, restaurant etc.) which usually close in the first week of October.

Lake Minnewanka is similarly accessible year-round, but in late October, the boat cruises will not be running.

I don't think you will have any trouble filling a week with just Banff and Jasper, especially if you are interested in doing some hiking. The higher trails may not be in good condition, but the lower ones will still be accessible.

melbourne
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October Touring

Thanks for your advice.

Is some moderate cycling doable at that time of year?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October Touring

It's impossible to know. Probably -- but then I do remember a year when we were skiing on October 8 ...

7. Re: October Touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:16