We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edmonton to Vancouver 10 days

Georgia, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Edmonton to Vancouver 10 days

I have a business morning meetings in Vancouver and Edmonton, dates up to me, and want to take a week for sight seeing. What itinerary is recommended. i can start in Minneapolis or Calgary or Edmonton and finish in vancouver. Have never seen this part of the country. I am a senior traveling with husband. No hiking.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,025 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edmonton to Vancouver 10 days

Hi Linda, welcome to the forum ~

When are you planning to do this? Hopefully some time between mid-June and mid-September.

Sounds like a good amount of time to do a one way. I'd fly into Calgary and drive immediately to Banff, 2 hours drive from YYC airport. Unless your flight will make it more desirable to stay the night in Calgary.

An itinerary something like this one might work for you:

3 nights Banff

One full day on the Icefields Parkway, the pièce de résistance of the Rockies

2 nights Jasper

A bonus full day on the IP

1 night Golden, BC - you can drive south on the IP, finishing up any points of interest you did not cover on the way north and catching up on any that were lost to poor weather. Then visit a bit of Yoho National Park nearby and get to Golden in time to settle in for the night.

2 nights Kelowna

2 nights Vancouver

Fly out.

Have a look at the UK company Canadian Affair which rents cars to UK citizens (and other overseas residents) for one way travel with no one way drop fee.

http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire/

My suggestion is to look in the Top Questions to the right of this page for the Trip Report Collection. As well in that list, you can see an article about looking for a route between Calgary/Banff and Vancouver.

The Banff Forum's TQs have articles that contain valuable information.

BC's online tourist information website is: www.hellobc.com . 90% of your trip will be in BC.

See if you can develop a bit of a provisional itinerary of your own and post it for feedback, suggestions, ideas and "be aware of"s.

Things to Do and the reviews for them can be found in the green menu bar up top. Here is the direct link to them: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g659487-Activiti…

And last but not least, read other questions being posted on this forum and the replies being given. There are nuggets of valuable info for you there.

Mentioned in this post
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
387 Reviews
Field, Canada
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,452 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Golden
Golden
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edmonton to Vancouver 10 days

two things i'd reconsider from above post would be...i would not pick golden or kelowna as overnights - personal preference...just don't like those two cities. but you need to do research and see what interests you. assuming you are renting a car and coming during non-winter months, i'd fly into calgary, do banff for 3 nights, jasper for 3 nights, then stay a night around clearwater, bc, going to wells grey provincial park and then either stay a night in whistler, bc before going onto vancouver or stay in vernon or penticton (okanagan valley area) as long as you can before going to vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,025 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edmonton to Vancouver 10 days

Hi Linda ~

The reason I choose Golden, in these 10 day, one way scenarios is purely strategic. It allows a double swipe of the spectacular Icefields Parkway. As I explained above, it allows you to split the attractions over two days (and there are over 20 of them), weighting the first day more than the second. This allows the second day to go a little faster and allows some time in Yoho NP before setting in for the night. Golden is not a destination in its own right. I suggest it in certain situations to allow the visitor to spend time in the higher value places.

In my view Hwy 16 to T Jaune Cache and the Hwy 5 south to the Kamloops area, although nice, does not hold a candle to the majestic Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise and Hwy 1 to Revelstoke. However, on the southbound day you could also stay one night in Lake Louise, but getting in to Yoho NP for Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake would then take from your travel day from LL to Kelowna. I think Penticton would also be a good choice. Smaller and less "busy" than Kelowna. the difference in driving between LL and Kelowna or Golden and Kelowna is about 1.25 hours.

I just wanted to outline my rationale for suggesting the itinerary and as lttt says, once you have done some research, you will see which way interests you the most.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,452 Reviews
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Penticton
Penticton
Okanagan Valley, Canada
4. Re: Edmonton to Vancouver 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 06:16