We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birding in August

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Birding in August

How is the birding scene in August (for photography)? The reason I ask is that I like both wildlife and landscape photography, but they need not only different lenses, but also different cameras. Packing for both would involve 2 SLR bodies and 3-4 lenses, of which one is heavy. All worth it if birding is good at this time of year.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,401 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birding in August

Mid- to late-August is the start of fall migration here, which means lots and lots of fall warblers. The mountain bluebirds are starting to flock up in my area, so they seem to be planning to move south soon also. If I recall correctly, you won't see waterfowl starting to flock up until September.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 02:09
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birding in August

I would agree. Mid-August is not hugely bird-y here in Banff, although there is always something to see year-round. As photographic subjects, magpies, ravens, chickadees and grey jays can be pretty amazing, and we have lots of those.

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birding in August

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm going to leave the heavy lens behind. Besides, it's a family vacation, so fewer serious birding opportunities.

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birding in August

Leaving the heavy lens + additional camera body at home turned out to be the right decision. Wildlife has been very sparse. Just a few elk, marmots, squirrels, etc. Even the waterfowl were few and far between.

5. Re: Birding in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17