We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

We're going on a week long trip to the rockies next week into Labor Day. Our plan is to fly to Calgary, rent a car and then drive to bnaff, jasper and lake Louise in the space of a week with 1-2 nights in each place. I was hoping to get info on some easy, quick hikes or stops along the way that would keep the interest of our 4 yr old. Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

in banff, the walk along the rive (on the side of the banff springs hotel) to the bow falls is nice. also the hike up johnson's canyon is nice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

The Athabasca glacier half way up the Icefields parkway would be a lot of fun for a 4 year old - big 'monster bus' to the ice and then you can walk around a bit up on the glacier. Also breaks up the drive.

I really liked Peytoe (sp?) lake - a short but uphill walk to a beautiful view .

Lake Louise has a short and easy walk around the right side (as you look at it from the Fairmont)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

We just came back from the Rockies, 2 kids in tow although they're a bit older than yours. Maligne Canyon, the walk down was steep but my kids seems to have no problem with it. Morraine lake- You need to climp up the formation for the breathtaking view, it's a bit challenging but I've seen toddlers on the summit. You have to try, the view will be worth it. lake Louise is an easy stroll. between hikes i promised the kids gondola rides to keep them interested. Gondola ride to Sulphur mountain and hike to the summit, plenty of rest to enjoy the view. And of course we spent the whole day walking around Banff.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

This TA page on Banff with children may be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-s401/Banff:Al…

5. Re: Canadian rockies with a 4yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 06:16