We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

usa
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Topic
Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

Last year we spent a 2.5 weeks in Canadian Rockies and Glacier NP and hiked a lot. To help others who may have a hard time deciding which hike to prioritize, here are our top 15 hikes.

1. The Jasper Skyline - Jasper NP

2. Berg Lake to Adolphus Lake - Robson/Valemount

3. Lake O'Hara Alpine Circuit (turned around at Oesa due to weather) - Yoho NP

4. Iceline/Whaleback Ridge to Summit/Yoho circuit - Yoho NP

4. Highline to Swiftcurrent w/ side trip to Grinnell Glacier Lookout - Glacier NP

6. Larch/Sentinel/Paradise Valley Loop - Banff NP

6. Chief/Ptarmigan Tunnel/Iceberg/Swiftcurrent Loop - Glacier NP

6. Dawson-Pitamakan - Glacier NP

9. Fairview Summit - Banff NP

10. Piegan Pass Glacier - NP

11. Plains of Six Glaciers to upper glaciers - Banff NP

12. Grinnell Glacier Glacier NP

13. Wilcox - Icefields Parkway

14. Hidden Lake - Glacier NP

15. Sun Point/Virginia Falls Loop Glacier NP

This year, we're spending our time 15 days in CR and will repeat all the hikes above as well add some new ones:

Here are ones I have on my list to do: Skoki region, Banff Egypt, Helen Lake/Cirque Peak, Tonquin Valley, Sulphur Skyline, Rockwall as well as Berg Lake w/ Snowbird Pass, Lake O'Hara Alpine Circuit w/ All Soul's Prospect & Lake McArthur, Parker Ridge.

Please feel free to share your list of favorite hikes and perhaps we will check them out. We'll be there Sept 6-21 (not quite peak larch season yet, unfortunately).

usa
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

Just in case you think we're crazy, let me clarify that we're repeating all the hikes in the Canadian Rockies on the list only. We're skipping Glacier NP this year. We may opt out of Plain of Six Glaciers and Wilcox actually if we have some good rec'd.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

dont opt out of wilcox!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,411 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

What a great list - thanks for posting!

Just a heads up that Berg Lake to Adolphus Lake requires hiking in 21 km to Berg Lake first (or taking the twice-weekly helicopter, and then hiking out 21 km). If you are the same "alliecat" who is on the clubtread forum, I know that very long distance day hikes are not an issue for you, but for the rest of us mere mortals ;-) and probably the majority of visitors to the Canadian Rockies' national parks, a day hike is usually 20 km total, or less.

I just did Wilcox yesterday, my second time this season - still as beautiful as ever! The alpine vegetation is just starting to turn to fall colours... it will be stunning in another week or two.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

I check the wether. there are raining days between Sep6-Sep9 during my trip. Feel so bad. May be we can not see anything in raining days even in cloudy days.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,411 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

Maplemon, we don't get all-day rain very often - it's often scattered showers. Bring rain gear (if hiking) and warm layers (there is no such thing as a "warm rain" in the mountains!) ... come prepared to get out no matter what the weather. The mountains are very, very beautiful with rainbows, distant showers, cloud formations etc.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

And a forecast for 2 weeks from now is very unlikely to be accurate ...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

Yes, hike more or less will depend on the weather.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

More than 2 weeks. Thank you !

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,411 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

Alliecat, are you a facebook user? If so, you might want to "like" and monitor the "Jasper Trail Alliance" page. An update was posted today about the Cavell Road by a Parks Canada staffer: "Cavell update: the area will be closed for while longer, until next week. The access road to the parking lot is not safe yet. Photo: the outflow created a new, wider creek." (Tthere is an aerial photo to view on the page.)

Alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our top rated day hikes in Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP USA

A few that jump to mind that might interest you based on your resume. Listing longer favorite hikes only, not scrambles, south to north.

-Northover Ridge (Kananaskis Country)

-Birdwood Traverse with Smutwood Peak en route. Best in larch season but great any time of year. (Kananaskis Country).

-Niles Meadows to the col overlooking the Daly glacier (Yoho)

-Cataract Pass (Banff and Jasper)

-Loop from Tangle Ridge to Beauty Creek to Nigel Pass/Creek. Possibly my favorite. (Banff and Jasper)

-Maybe do Boundary Peak instead of Wilcox Pass if you don't want to repeat that one. (Jasper)

-Maligne Pass, perhaps? Haven't been there yet but wish I had. (Jasper)

-Sulphur Skyline... might be disappointing compared to these others.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 05:12