We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

I assume that both complexes are quite large with lots of activities? Please rate the following below on which property offers the better based on my preferences. Thank You!

1. Food/Drinks

2. Water slides wave pools, etc.?

3. Accommodations?

4. High speed internet in guest rooms?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

you dont state who these activities are for...

I have been to both, and my preference is the Barcelo.

Food/Drink about the same. all depends on the bartender.

Barcelo has water slide (for kids), Palladium does not. Barcelo has more pools. Palladium has a deep one that is hard to walk and carry a drink across.

Preferred the accomodations at Barcelo over the Palladium.

High speed internet?? IF either has it, it is in the upper end of the resort... The Barcelo Palace and the Palladium Royal ??

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

Thanks for the reply. So, both offer top shelf liquor? Activities, seeking something to keep the kids busy ages 5-13. We stayed at the Lindo about 3 years ago and the wave pool, etc. kept them busy. However, the food and drinks were less than par in my opinion.

Which property is larger, Barcelo or Palladium? Anything else that you would add, such as number of upscale restaurants, etc.? Are they both located in the same vicinity?

Regards,

Scott

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

Also, what property at the Barcelo complex is the most upscale and centered in proximity to most all of the popular public areas? Thank You!

SG

Austin TX
Level Contributor
445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

At the Barcelo, the new Palace section is the most upscale, but the Tropical/Colonial are more centrally located to everything.

Tami

Edmonton,Alberta,Can...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya. Coloinal last spring break..Everything was GREAT! We heard alot of stories about the food not being good at alot of diff. places in Mexico..But that's NOT the case here...I couldn't get my hubby out of the Buffet or Snack-Bars! The Resturants were Soooo good that we couldn't eat another bite! And that means alot!

The drinks were okay...Bring your own Mug though! Like anyone had to tell you that ur the Liquor Man!! ;p) Overall the place is so Big that there was alot to do,and on day 5 of 7 we were still finding New things! Happy Trip Planning..Were trying to do the same,but I'm waiting on a Good Deal like we got last year!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

The Palace is the more upscale. It opened on December 24, 2007.

For the Barcelo, check out http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

further answers to your questions:

Size wise, I think the Barcelo would be larger but its very close. The Beach at the Barcelo is better in my opinion. The Palladium had a LOT of rock/coral wash up on the beach daily. the snorkeling is better at the Barcelo.

They are both on the Mayan Riviera and about 10 minutes apart. You would pass the Barcelo to get to the Palladium.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

Thank you all for the info!

boston
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

hi liquor man, please tell me that they have bottles of corona beer at the coloinal all inc. thanks tara

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo or Palladium? Which is more upscale?

Have been to both.

Food(Pallidum much better)

Water park(didnt take kids all are adults)but I would say the Barcelo on that one!

Accomodations(Pallidum much nicer)We stayed at the older end of the Barcelo(Maya/Caribe)The hall where noisy slamming doors all night.Pallidum Kantenha side buildings are 3 floors 6 rooms to each floor much quieter.

Pools the Barcelo nicer.The Pallidum has one large pool and some small adult pools.Now the Pallidum has added the White Sands section so I dont know about that part.

Beaches both beautiful!!!!

As far as internet I leave it at home iam on vacation and can live without it for a week so cant help you on that.

The Pallidum is more jungle/tropical setting and has lots of wildlife for the kids to see.Crocs,birds,fish etc.

Both resorts have great snorkling right off the beach but the Barcelo has a nice pier to go out on to get in the water.

All in all my choice would be to go back to the Pallidum we loved it.