We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health caution travelling to this area

Richmond Hill...
2 posts
Save Topic
Health caution travelling to this area

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort from December 28, 2007 until Jan 4, 2008. My fiance started to show signs of illness a couple of days after we returned. He died on Jan 11. Another couple that we met at the resort also where sick when they came home. They where treat for Malaria and are fine now.

If you plan to visit this area be cautious. If you are sick when you get home go to the doctors immediately.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

This is terrible!! Very, VERY sorry to hear this.

Did your fiance have malaria? Or possibly dengue fever?

Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

I am so sorry for you, I just can't imagine how terrible this is for you. I am expecially concerned now with all the treads talking about the mosquito problems lately. Thank you for taking time to inform us so that we all take extra precautions.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

I am so sorry for your loss. Did you guys travel anywhere other than the resort- like say on a tour to somewhere?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

That is terrible. I am so sorry for your loss. Did the doctors determine exactly what caused the illness? Was it Malaria? Did you both have your immunizations up to date before leaving for holidays? I am leaving for the Mayan with my family on Feb. 18-25 (although we are not staying at that resort). Again, sorry for your loss.

Richmond Hill...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

Thank you for your condolences. I walk around my house devastated, no trip is worth what I am going through.

We don't have the pathology reports from the coroner yet. They are testing for Malaria, but it is not as straight forward after death. All I know for sure is that his symptoms where consistant with Malaria. Also, the people that we met at the resort (who live in a different country) came down with the same sickness. They where treated for Malaria and got better right away.

We never left the resort.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

What a terrible, terrible tragedy. I'm so sorry. I am leaving for the Iberostar Del Mar a week from Saturday and now you have me worried. Did you or your fiance notice getting mosquito bites? I have honestly never read about a malaria warning here but obviously I am now. Any other locals out there who would like to comment on this and how often this happens? Toni and Cheri? Steve? Has there been more cases of this in the last few months or something? We all realize we should bring bug spray but this is a big all inclusive resort which I would think would be spraying a lot.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

I am so sorry for your loss.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

am also sorry to hear of the loss--that is so tragic.

I have never heard of malaria being a problem in the area. Dengue fever however is at times a big problem so good to always have protection from the mosquitos.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

I am very sorry for you loss.

Seattle
Level Contributor
348 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Health caution travelling to this area

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for warning us. Please let us know when the cause is determined.