We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu or Barcelo?

atlanta
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riu or Barcelo?

Which do you prefer and why?

thanks

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
805 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu or Barcelo?

We have been to the Riu Tequila, twice. Loved it.

This year we are going to Barcelo Maya Palace. It looks pretty good. Beach looks great.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu or Barcelo?

Cant comment on the RUI but I love the Barcelo. I have been there 3 times.. I have tried two other resort on the Maya Riviera but my next trip is being planned for the Barcelo.

Great resort, great snorkeling off the beach, great pools.

TO, ON
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu or Barcelo?

We stayed down the beach from some of the RIU's last year in Playa Del Carmen, very nice.....however if you care about beach check before you book as some of the resorts have had their beaches washed away.....nothing to do with the resort, just mother nature.

Lawrence
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu or Barcelo?

Can't comment on Rui, but we are returning to the Barcelo for the second time this year. And will continue to make that our vacation destination when we can afford it. It is a beautiful resort and the beach is to die for. Here is a web addy for more info and awesome pics about the Barcelo:

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/

Oshawa ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu or Barcelo?

Beach is awesome at Barcelo. Snorkel right there.

Riu Yucatan is my favourite on the beach but true the beach is busy, and eroded due to storms, this area where the Riu's are located is a strip or multiple hotels all next to each other. Close proximity to Playa del Carmen is a plus for those that want to shop or visit the clubs. Barcelo is a massive resort in a remote area, spread out on very larg acreage.

Want something smaller with fantastic beach? Catalonia Royal Tulun.

6. Re: Riu or Barcelo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 17:16