We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand or Excellence

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand or Excellence

I have narrowed it down to these two places for a trip in May. I would like to know if anyone has opinions about food, rooms, service, etc. so I can choose.

Thanks!

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence

These resorts are really in two different categories. The Grand is in a category basically by itself so it really can't be rated with Excellence. The Excellence is more in the category of the Royal Playa Del Carmen, the Secrets Capri. The Grand has the personal butlers, the option of ordering anything you want whether it's offered on the menu or not etc. Too many amenities to mention. It's by itself and considered the best so far in this area. The Excellence gets great reviews but if if you went to the Grand first it would not be the same JMO from everything I've read. The price difference is for a reason.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence

One thing I disagree with the above poster is Excellence is not in the same category with the Royal Chain, Excellence is definitly a step above. I have been to Royal Cancun so am speaking from first hand experience but it is just my opinion.

Here is a comparison I wrote as soon as we got back from EPM I just cut and pasted it. Hope is helps.

I was at Iberostar Grand in Oct and just returned yesterday (Mar 4) from Excellence Playa Mujeres. Seems a lot of people are interested in these two resorts so thought I would try and compare. These were just our regular vacation trips and not for a special event such as a wedding or honeymoon. I emailed each resort ahead of time and stated for IG it was our anniversary and for EPM it was a repeat visit having been to Excellence Punta Cana. We received upgrades to Ocean front at both resorts upon arrival, keep in mind though Oct is low season for IG and EPM was not at 50% occupancy yet. Both rooms are gorgeous and I mean out of this world. Neither is lacking in anything and this is even without an upgrade. Both offer alcohol in your fridge, both offer snacks, room service, etc. EPM may have been nicer but only by a bit. The food at IG was a little better than EPM but EPM has more choices in a la cartes. The entry into the beach is better at EPM but both beaches to lay on are nice and IG does have entry a little ways down in front of the other resorts. The service and staff were good at both. Both offer salt water pools, IG main pool is infinity which is kind of nice. Lawn chairs are definitely more comfy at IG. Both offer numerous other pools around the resort that are quiet. The main fault I found with EPM was the resort was too small for our tastes. We like to walk, usually I choose large resorts just so we have lots of area within the resort to walk around. We found there was no place to walk at this resort. There were paths that abruptly ended. Trying to walk around the pools we were one in front of the other and ducking to avoid shade huts. There were few places to stroll side by side. This was a big negative for us but may be a plus for another. We appreciated at IG having four other resorts to wonder through plus the Grand. EPM is a beautiful resort and I would recommend it without hesitation. Anyone going here will have a great vacation. I would highly recommend IG as for us it just offered a little more. If you have specific questions I will try to answer.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence

I have been to both Excellence Riveria Cancun and the Grand and also disagree that the Grand is better than ERC. We thought the were both very good and had advantages and disadvantages but I think you could not go wrong with either. I feel like I write this a lot but the butler or concierge service provided at these upscale resorts are nice but not really that big a deal. You will still get great service at ERC without them. They basically just make your reservations or bring you a bottle of wine etc. You can get that at ERC too.

We like the fact that you do not have to make a reservation for dinner at ERC and we thought the food for dinner was better at ERC.

The bar service is excellent at both but the drinks are slightly better at the Grand with more top shelf alcohol available.

We liked the pool scene at both resorts. The beach is better at the Grand but entrance to the ocean is better at ERC.

We thought the rooms were better at the Grand but this may not be a fair comparison as we had oceanfront there and a swim out at ERC.

As I said either is great and you have made some great choices. Have fun!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence

We have been to both. I loved the drinks and entertainment better at the Grand. We loved the lazy river and the pools with the jets better at ERC. I do not think you could go wrong at either resort.

5. Re: Iberostar Grand or Excellence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 07:24