We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I received this e-mail today from Berwick Travel about the Secrets promotion. Looks like Berwick is still confident of an August 1 opening, but recommending travel for September to get through the opening pains.

"Book your 2008 vacation to either resort by July 15th for travel by December 24th and receive an air credit of $200 per person (taken right off your package price), $100 in Spa certificates for use during your trip, and a complimentary room category upgrade (based on availability)!

Secrets Maroma Beach is scheduled to open August 1st, and Secrets Silversands on August 2nd. As always, the first few weeks a resort is open they experience a few growing pains, and not all services and amenities may be available, so we're recommending travel as of September 1st. Don't forget - this Secret isn't for everyone, only adults 18 and older looking for luxury and pampering...if that's you, this is the time!"

Arkansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Thanks for the update! Now every one worried about whether these resorts were going to open can stop worrying about that and start worrying about hurricanes.

Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Im planning on booking August 5th through the 12th at Marona (its the only time we can travel). What could be the worse that could happen in terms of growing pains? Would they still be all inclusive and serve us food and drinks? Other than that, we arent really worried about anything else since we have a car rental and can go on excursions...Please help!!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I'll have to ask my TA about this kind of offering, she has said that she recommends we stick with Iberostar Grand because of the opening pains but we will be there at the beginning of September which makes me hope they would have worked all that out. The difference in price is actually making Secrets about 300 cheaper and if I can get to the bottom to whether or not golf is included as mentioned in the whatifsecrets.com webiste then it might be all I need to make a final decision. I think when we honeymooned at then Secrets Excellence RC it was relatively new. We had a fabulous experience there, which is what makes me want to go back to Secrets again even though Iberostar sounds equally as wonderful. Anyone else dealing with this same dilemma?

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Travel Junkie Chick- My husband and I are going to SM the 5-12 of Aug and I am holding my breath...got a great deal, looking for drinks, food and a fantastic beach- we'll be happy campers. We booked through Orbitz, which I have never done. When I went to my TA she said its a GREAT deal, so I could not pass it up. I think I'll wait until Aug 2 or 3 to call and see if SM is really up and running. I appreciate everyones input

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

TravelJenn - did you purchase insurance with your package through Orbitz? Is there anything you can do if not if SMB isn't open on schedule?

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Yes, I did get the Insurance. Even if SM is not ready, I'm hoping that they will put us up somewhere...we really need a vacation!

Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

My bf and I booked for august 1-8 (opening week) and i called secrets yesterday; they told me it is on schedule but if they are not ready to FULLY open, then they won't. The agent assured me they wont do a semi, soft opening; that it will be "grand." And she said she has read some of the blogs that say maroma is just concrete, etc. and she said that is not true. Nevertheless, I am still very nervous. We booked through cheap tickets and got an amazing deal, and cheap tickets said if you dont get what you pay for i.e. not opened, moved to a location you dont like, etc, then you can have a refund. hope this helps (and alleviates my own anxiety)

Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I spoke with Secrets yesterday too and they said they will be opening on schedule... However.... if they do not....they will put people up at Capri instead or refund your money. If you booked with them, then you will get Capri... if you booked through an outer agency, you get a refund. I booked with a private travel company who has already put in the reservation so we are ok and will get Capri if something happens.... HAVE YOUR TRAVEL AGENT DO THE SAME!!!!! Make sure that if you fly down there and there is no resport, they will put you in a sister resort....We will be there Aug 5-12 and not worried about it.... if it doesnt open, out travel agent said the resort is at fault for taking reservation and will have to cater to getting you a new hotel.

Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

yeah, cheap tix said they would work with secrets if it didnt open to get us in capri, and if we didnt want it or there was no room left, we could get a refund or book for another time at the same rate.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

HI TA fellows!

You can also get all those perks simply by joining the IPREFER program. No need to book with Berwick directly, you can have the liberty to shop around and even book directly with Secrets and get your aifare separately. The IPREFER offers a complimentary one-category upgrade (based on availability) and the air and spa credits are an actual promotion on top of their upgrade.

You can view their promo here:

preferredhotelgroup.acc0.com/cts/click…

We will be staying at the Silversands Aug. 28 Sept. 1st and will have the opportunity to visit Maroma during our stay. We will keep you posted!

Adios :-)