We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I received this e-mail today from Berwick Travel about the Secrets promotion. Looks like Berwick is still confident of an August 1 opening, but recommending travel for September to get through the opening pains.

"Book your 2008 vacation to either resort by July 15th for travel by December 24th and receive an air credit of $200 per person (taken right off your package price), $100 in Spa certificates for use during your trip, and a complimentary room category upgrade (based on availability)!

Secrets Maroma Beach is scheduled to open August 1st, and Secrets Silversands on August 2nd. As always, the first few weeks a resort is open they experience a few growing pains, and not all services and amenities may be available, so we're recommending travel as of September 1st. Don't forget - this Secret isn't for everyone, only adults 18 and older looking for luxury and pampering...if that's you, this is the time!"

Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Im telling you right now, if I dont get the room I booked because "a vip took it" Im from Queens, there will be hell to pay. Someone is going to quit their job the day I walk into that lobby hahaha I KID I KID

Im sure everything will be ok. If not, I will be searching for the nearest internet cafe. As long as I have a room and food to eat and a massage everyday, Im totally cool.....if the VIP's take over AND IM NOT ONE OF THEM....Im taking someone down and it will probably be some prissy chick with a small dog.

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

And they'll be telling you Lady calm down and have a Beer or a drink....chill baby chill....LOL Na i'm sure you'll be treated like a Queen ...Hey they know who you are now..ha ha

Pennsyvania
13 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I have been scouring the internet for updates of SMB and had to join TA just to respond to those in the same boat as we are. I received an email today from Secrets telling me the resort will be open by August 1, the spa will most likely will not. They will offer all services to all guests in other area of the hotel.

I asked again about the VIP thing.. no answer either way. We stayed at Secrets Excellence and it was fantastic. We booked for SMB ages ago..and we're thinking about switching to someplace else... Iberostar Grand maybe? We are to go August 14-20 and we just can't decide!!!!

I really have no new info..just looking for people in our same situation!

Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

In the last two years, I have stayed at over 20 HOSTELS....Whats the worst that could happen at a 5 star all-inclusive resort? They cant discriminate against me because I booked when all the VIP's booked... what does that mean... they get first dibs on everything before me.....Someone should find out more about this VIP thing... When I asked them about VIPs they said that was false....

NH
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Hi Maggiegirl: We also waivered and considered IB Grand instead of chancing SMB However, after close research and then putting everything into perspective, figured we'd go for it! So we go earlier than you even, Aug. 9-16th. We also spoke with Secrets reps. and they said EVERYTHING would be fuctional. From what I've been able to pick up from all the various boards, is that the resort is now ready! The road to the resort seems to be the problem. Apparently it wasn't up to par for traffic and that has held them up. Interesting info. that we pick up from lurking these boards. Now all that being said, it's IMO worth the risk! You see, sitting under my palappa at the Grand and looking down the beach towards Secrets would have made me very disappointed knowing it was open and functioning. We waited a long time for this property and darn it, we're going! LOL We stayed at SERC (now ERC) SEPC (now Excellence Punta Cana), and Secrets Capri loved them all, and can't wait for all the future Secrets trips! So in our case, we are die hards, ready and waiting for that Secrets fix that we love! Cheated last summer and tried a Sandals,(SWH-Jamaica) not anywhere close to Secrets! But glad we tried it. So hope that whatever you decide to do, you will enjoy! Can't beat Playa for fun, relaxation and mix of culture too! ENJOY!!

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera...
10,612 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Maggiegirl - we waivered but did the exact opposite of what you are considering. We had reservations at the Grand but as we got closer to our trip I just knew Secrets was where we needed to go after being at Secrets Excellence Rivera Cancun...Iberostar sounds great but I didn't want the hassle of reservations for dinner, I know, small thing to deal with on vacation and that property IS beautiful but we were spoiled on the Secrets brand and just have to go back. Hopefully we won't regret it, but during the time we are going, if we get there and it is terrible we just ask to be transferred, problem solved. ha ha. :)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Corona, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Now that some of you have been to a Secrets and we never have. In fact only once to Cancun stayed at Xpu Ha. Can anyone tell me exactly what Casual Elegance means for dinner dress wise? I understand the Casual but on the dress code of Elegance? My husband is totally the dress casual kind of guy..you know shorts tee shirt. 15years married never seen him in Dress shoes or tie. So this is our vacation and we don't want to have to get dressed up so if anyone can tell me what we should bring clothes wise so will be Elegance enough to eat in the dinner places would be appreciated. Really I just want to live in my bathing suit for the five days...ha ha

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Xpu-Ha
Xpu-Ha
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Annville, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

We just got back from the Capri and here is what it meant there. Men must wear pants to diner, with a collared shirt, the exception was the seaside grill that did allow shorts for men. Guys, you can not wear sleeveless or tank tops to breakfast, they say no bathing suits, but if you put on a t-shirt and bathing suit you are fine(as long as it is not a speedo).

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

You've got to be Kidding guys have to wear pants and collared shirts ...This is mexico and a resort not the opera and a vacation who wants to get all dressed up ..really I have no problem with the dress up thing but my hubby is not going to like that only pants he'll wear is jeans and i'm sure he doesn't want to wear them on our vacation. He wants to be comfortable like tee shirts and shorts. Beer and the beach, pool and a beer, good dinner and comfortable clothes maybe we booked at the wrong place..hummm where just simply people who like the simply things in life and sometimes explore nice things. Darn

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,069 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Personally, we only book resorts that have dress codes in the ala cartes. We like the ambiance and have no interest in dining in a lovely restaurant surrounded by folks in shorts and tees.

There are plenty of super casual resorts available for those that want them. At the nicer AIs there are dress codes for dinner and they are generally enforced so if being very casual is a dealbreaker, Secrets might not be your style.