We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I received this e-mail today from Berwick Travel about the Secrets promotion. Looks like Berwick is still confident of an August 1 opening, but recommending travel for September to get through the opening pains.

"Book your 2008 vacation to either resort by July 15th for travel by December 24th and receive an air credit of $200 per person (taken right off your package price), $100 in Spa certificates for use during your trip, and a complimentary room category upgrade (based on availability)!

Secrets Maroma Beach is scheduled to open August 1st, and Secrets Silversands on August 2nd. As always, the first few weeks a resort is open they experience a few growing pains, and not all services and amenities may be available, so we're recommending travel as of September 1st. Don't forget - this Secret isn't for everyone, only adults 18 and older looking for luxury and pampering...if that's you, this is the time!"

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

We live near the beach in FL so it does not get more casual than that. When we go to an outdoor oyster bar or similar, we will wear shorts. When we go to dinner at a nice restaurant, my husband wears slacks and a nice shirt and I wear a dress or skirt.

We generally go to nice, local spots for dinner, not chains or fast food places. And we prefer to dress up a bit when we go out for dinner even though others may not.

So it is not about where people live or how others choose to dress, it is a matter of personal style.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Ugh, everytime I open this I think there is an update because there is a new post. Yet, it is just bickering about what/what is not casual, dressy etc....

Please post something about the "Update" on the opening.

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Thats right CAVIARGAL it is a person's personal style so lets drop it and get back to How fun we are going to have at Secrets Maroma weather we dress up or not....gees

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I'm going to stir the pot a bit more for sh & giggles.

Tell a businessman in Bermuda, the classiest of islands, that he has to lose his Bermuda-shorts and must start wearing pants in the heat.

Or, tell the people of Hawaii that just because it is hot there they should lose the Don Ho shirts and start wearing long sleeves and ties to work because it is offensive.

Or, at the very least make it a bit more comfortable for your guests and enforce the stupid policy in the well-air-conditioned restaurants only but not in the opne-air venues.

Stonecreek, do you get it now?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

The examples of Bermuda and Hawaii are indicative of the culture, not a dress code established by a resort. Apples and oranges.

And most resorts do indeed have a dress code in the air conditioned restaurants and not in the alternate casual venues. That is how they keep everyone happy.

sweething, no need to read my posts so feel free to move on.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Hey vacationdude, no offense given or taken... but you must be a mindreader... you're right, those are my thoughts too.

However... that is exactly their policy and the policy of many other upscale resorts down there ! It's not my policy or anyone else that has expressed their opinion on this subject, it's the hotel's policy.

So I guess we're all in agreement !

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

Hey VacationDude, After thinking about it for a moment, regarding your suggestion about stirring the pot, giggles'n all....

Both of us living just 20 miles apart, you being from NYC and me in NJ just west of Newark Airport, I guess we can bump heads in a friendly sort of way without serious injury .

Having said that, regarding your last post, I guess it would be stupid to spend money at a resort that I thought had a stupid policy like that !

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

<<Having said that, regarding your last post, I guess it would be stupid to spend money at a resort that I thought had a stupid policy like that ! >>

And that I think was exactly the point a few of us were trying to make though the point was apparently lost on several posters :-)

We don't book at a resort that allows kids or only offers buffet dining or does not have a dress code. I know it won't work for us so it would indeed be stupid to waste time and money.

monikab90
4 posts
Save Reply
69. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

I personally love to dress up when going to diner specially while on vacation( I am not talking about gowns or anything like that) but a nice outfit (dress/skirt/nice pants...) and I enjoy seeing the other guests doing the same.

After being in a bathing suit all day, it's nice to dress up for diner. IMO perfect combo for a great vacation :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Update on Opening of Secrets Maroma and Silversands

You are correctamundo, lady of caviar !

In addition, I must say, most of this is light banter, a bit tongue in cheek / entertaining, it should not be taken personally by anyone !