We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riviera Maya or Playa del Carmen

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Riviera Maya or Playa del Carmen

I hope I can finally make a decision from some of your recommedations. My husband and I are in need of a relaxing, hassle-free vacation and are torn between these 2 places. I have never been to Playa del Carmen, but, i have been to Cancun 3 times. We would prefer to stay in an AI while in Cancun, but, not sure an AI is the right thing for Playa del Carmen. I checked out Secrets Maroma and even though it isnt open yet, it looks gorgeous. However, i also heard that Playa del Carmen is something not to be missed. Has anyone been to both locations? If so, can you tell me which you prefer and why? Is travel to either of these places from Cancun airport a hassle or long ride? Thank you for any or all of your feedback in advance.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riviera Maya or Playa del Carmen

I understand Secrets Maroma is about 10 minutes north of Playa Del Carmem. Neither location will be a problem from the airport. Approx. 20-30 minutes.

If you decide on a resort like Secrets or any of the others in the general vicinity, it would be a quick taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen for shopping, etc.

We prefer the tropical lush feel away from town, but some will prefer being able to walk to the city. It just depends on your personality.

BTW we are booked for Secrets Maroma for November. Can't wait.

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riviera Maya or Playa del Carmen

For hassle free I would go AI.

I'm sorry I haven't heard anything about Secrets Maroma so I can't help there.

You can stay at any place along the Riviera Maya and take day/evening trips into PDC. Most resorts have a shuttle to take you into and back from PDC and there are always cabs running. How much the cab costs will depend on how far away the resort is. During the day you can always take a collectivo for $2USD per person. For me personally PDC is day trip to shop and maybe have dinner/drinks someplace new.

As for a resort, I don't know what is important to you. Beach? Food? Drinks? Party? Adults Only? 5 Star Service?

The beaches around PDC are eroding, RUI, Vivas, ect. but you can walk into PDC. Most resorts have Discos and they can be fun but it's nothing like Cancun. The RM is much more laid back.

I've stayed at the H10 Maya and I don't recomend it at all. It's north of PDC.

I just got back from the Catalonia Royal Tulum and it was great. It's south of PDC on Xpu Ha beach, very, very nice. It is going to be AO in november.

If you get a pkg deal, transfers from the Cancun airport should be included. They take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours depending on how far you are going and how many stops you have to make. It's easy and they usually have beer for $2USD. Otherwise you could arrange a transfer or rent a car. It's not a hassel at all, highway 307 goes straight south to the RM.

I hope this helps. You may want to check out locogringo too. That site is only about the RM and they have some great maps so that you can orientate yourself.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riviera Maya or Playa del Carmen

Thank you for your honest feedback! After researching practically all day and reading all the other recommendations. I think I am going to take the chance and book Secrets Maroma. IN the meantime, i will continue to read the threads on others who are going in August-November.

4. Re: Riviera Maya or Playa del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 19:15