We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

I think I may be looking for the impossible but would like a moderately priced AI, maybe 4 stars, that has clean, comfortable accommodations that smells fine and has everything working in it, decent food, friendly service, good bars that serve good sized drinks in a timely fashion. I also want it to be on a nice beach with clear calm seas that you can snorkel in and see fish.I was looking at a cheap Caribbean site that mentioned places like Viva Wyndham, Sandos, Gran Bahia, Catalona, Barcello, Grand Sirena, and some others. These all were under $2500 for 2 including airfare, transfers, and tax. I would appreciate any opinions regarding this even if you think that there are no places. Thanks.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

HI there I have been to a couple of these resorts our buget has always been under 2k for a week for 2.The Barcelo resort was wonderful but a really large resort.Beach there is beautiful and they have great snorkling right off the beach and pier.There are 3 sections cheaper end is the Maya/Caribe,then the tropical/colonial,then the Palace.The best part is the mid section you get alot more choices than the lower end gets.We also have been to the Catalonia riveria and this year the Cat royal tulum the royal is great very small but great service.Beach is beautiful.no reservations for dinner this place has turned Adult only.this resort is about 1 mile from the Barcelo so it has the same beach and calm waters.The Cat riveria is a great resort also but the beach is real rocky.and the rooms dont have friges.As for the other resorts listed Iam not sure on have you looked into the Grand Pallidum this one also has what you are looking for.another wonderful place.Any question email me A good sight to look at these resorts is Apple vacations they show great pics.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

From what you have listed - Barcelo.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

I'd also agree that you should check the Palladium, snorkeling is not wonderful, but the beaches are great and the food and service was very nice. We never felt really crouded there (although it was close to capacity). Both the Palladium and the Bahia Principe are close to Akumal bay. The snorkeling there is great (many of the snorkeling tour companies take you to Akumal). You can see sea turtles 100 feet off the public beach. You can get there by a short cab or colectevo ride.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

Thanks for the response. After reading all the reviews and looking at the websites, I decided to go to St John and stay at a small recently built villa in Coral Bay. When all said and done a little less expensive and better snorkeling. Granted, a way different experience. There are many varied experiences at the moderately priced AI's and many are so large that you need a shuttle to get around, so I figure why not just have a Jeep and take a short drive to a pristine beach

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

Great choice!

6. Re: Best moderate AI on a nice beach with good snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:18