We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
687 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

Hello,

I dont know much anything about this area, other than it is "close" to Cancun..... We have no desire to visit Cancun.

We are trying to use our timeshare with a trade through RCI for Playa del Carmen but have not had any luck doing so. RCI keeps mentioning The Mayan Palace or the Grand Mayan in the Riviera area.

Mainly we visit all Resort areas on the Pacific side and enjoy them all. PV is our favorite.

We are a Family with a 7 year old boy, and we dont drink. We like to be lazy at the pool and go on a few tours duing the day. We prefer to walk around at night for a bit and look at things. Pretty simple eh?

What can you tell me about this area, Your preference on the Hotels mentioned and their surroundings. things like is the Beach swimable, grocery in the area, eats, and shops, are tehy within walking distance?

Your help is appreciated as we plan our July Vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Riviera Maya
The Grand Mayan at...
4,167 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

You will get many responses on this, I'm sure! You will want to visit Playa Del Carmen/Riviera Maya because it's beautiful! It's so different from PV and the Pacific side of Mexico....it's the Caribbean....warm, swimmable turquoise water. You can walk around the town of Playa Del Carmen at night, there are many shops and restaurants. You can laze by the pool all day - I'm sure many here can comment on the Mayan Palace or Grand, just do a search and see what people have to say about traveling there with a young child. Most places have kids clubs with activities for the little ones. Having been to PV, Cabo and Playa Del Carmen, I love love love Playa Del Carmen! Good luck and have fun! Note, it will be hot and humid in July! (But so is PV)

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

The Mayan Riviera is beautiful. The resorts are built into the jungle area to take advantage of the foilage and natural beauty of the area. The people are gracious, the service is good, there are significant archeological sites to see, tours of fun things to do and as the previous reviewer noted, Playa del Carmen is very tourist friendly. Most of the family resorts have children's programs and activities that cater to families. The reviews on the site are very honest. You should get some excellant information.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day Tours
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day...
91 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

I love this area, its where I live. But other than the beaches and beautiful water, I dont think of it has beautiful at all, in my opinion. Not really a very scenic area with miles of mangrove jungle. The Puerto Vallarta area has the mountains as a backdrop and the contryside is very scenic. However, the beaches and waters of the Pacific are not beautiful

So its a personal choice--both areas have something to offer. You have to decide what is more important to you.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

The Mayan Riveria and Playa del Carmen are much different than Cancun. The riveria is much slower and quieter.....less drinking and partying. You can find partying, but it's much more laid back. I'd have to agree that the mangroves are not as pretty as the mountains, but I'm there for the swimming and snorkeling - I'll go to the rockies or alps for mountains. I also love the Mayan history and the people. PDC is an hour south of Cancun, and Tulum is another hour south of that.

Mentioned in this post
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

I have to agree with Robert on scenery... comparing PV to Mayan Riviera.... PV is much prettier with the mountains in the background... the Yucatan is flat, flat, flat... when you drive, for example, to Chitzen Itza... there is miles of nothing to look at but trees along the side of the road... however... aside from that... the Yucatan has so many interesting things to do, things to see... and the beaches are lovely, clear water and the snorkeling blows the West Coast away! Cenotes, Mayan Ruins, Mayan Villages, walking around Playa del Carmen... Xcaret, Xel-Ha... not enough days in the week to enjoy it all.

PV is one big t-shirt/silver shop now... hard to find "Mexico" in that town anymore. In the Mayan Riviera there is still a lot of Mexico left.

Well, maybe not on 5th Ave... in Playa, but in the rest of the smaller towns.

Cheers,

Kathy

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day Tours
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day...
91 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cenotes
Cenotes
381 Reviews
Cuzama, Mexico
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,185 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,967 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

The only regret from our trip to Riviera Maya was that it was way too short and we kicked ourselves later for not booking two weeks - it was a fabulous holiday!!

Playa del Carmen is a large city and surprisingly quite modern - the Wal-Mart being a very popular destination. We spent most of our shopping day on 5th Avenue - we did find that bartering was a tad more challenging here than Puerto Vallarta but still managed to find many bargains.

The Mayan Palace looks lovely and states it is 15 minutes form Playa as well as appears to have all the amneities you are looking for. The water really is as blue as the pictures!!!

http://mayanpalacesuite.com/index.html

During our stay, we swan with the dolphins at Delphinus - although a tad expensive it was worth every penny. As well we took in the quad tour through the jungle, swan in an underground cave - also much fun. We sadly discovered as we were leaving that there is a private beach in the area where you can snorkel with turtles - we did not visit the ruins and plan to do so on our next trip.

Happy New Year and all the best for your vacation!!!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Delphinus Riviera Maya
Delphinus Riviera Maya
857 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
687 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

You guys are great! I still cant make up my mind. I have to agree that there is little "Mexico" left in PV but we have our "secrets" there.

I would be REALLY interested in finding about the private beach snorkling.....

It is in my hopes that with the New Year something might open up where we really are wanting to stay down in Playa del Carmen at http://www.sandoshotels.com/ through RCI.

This is still great information that I am taking in willingly and it is appreciated greatly!

Happy New Year and Happy Travels to all!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
8. Re: Someone please tell us why we would want to visit this area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 05:27