We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips or advice

London, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tips or advice

My husband and I are staying at the Grand Oasis Riviera Mays (AI) the week of January 26/09. This is our first trip to Mexico although we have been to Varadero, La Romana & Punta Cana. I noticed a post where the time share people were mentioned & as we have encountered this before in DR we can avoid them.

We would appreciate any advice regarding safety issues etc as I have just discovered that our hotel is in the area where people were murdered.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips or advice

Hi Willy,

I returned from the Rivera on the 7th of December, and we've been to that area 8 times in the past 5 years. Neither my wife nor I have ever had any security fears in that part of Mexico. I've heard of incidents in Playa Del Carmen (PDC) and Cancun, these have been situations with arguments in bars, especally during spring break, with drunk kids. We've been approached by time-share people at the airport in Cancun, and near the town square in PDC, but they are not allowed on the resorts. Additionally, they were not a "problem" once we told tham that we are not interested. I don't know how you are getting from the airport to the Grand Oasis Riveria Maya (GORM). I would not recommend a taxi, as it's a long trip to GORM (hour and a half) and there are better & cheaper options.

The swimming is good at GORM, but the snorkeling is only so-so. A few miles north is Akumal bay, and you can snorkel right off the public beach (water is very calm there) and see sea turtles 100 feet off shore. While you are there, I recommend taking a cab or a colectevo 20 minutes south to Tulum. The ruins there are not historically significant, but the beach is the prettiest I've seen in the world, especally with the ruins on the cliffs above.

Sorry for such a long reply, I obviously love the area..... Have a great trip!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips or advice

Hi lbuggs

Thanks for the tips. We are with a tour so transportation between airport & hotel is provided--although we were told it was only 60 minutes.

Have you had any problems with insects in this area? I am particulary sensitive to sand fleas--had a real problem in Cuba. If I know what to expect I can be prepared.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Willy

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips or advice

Hi Willy,

Well, I must say that 60 minutes seems pretty optimistic to me; although some flights from Europe do arrive at night, so perhaps with less traffic...

We spent virtually all of our time (11 days) on the beach and I was bitten four times (by something, never saw it, so I'm not sure what it was). My wife was bitten twice that, she is more (apparently) much more tasty than I. We did not use any type of repellant, although we had it…..did not notice any bites until the last two days.

Here's a web page (part of a tour site) with an aerial photo of the beach near the resort www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/118a-t.html

Wish that I was going too!

Phil

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
157 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips or advice

Dear Willy,

Many tips to be found in this same forum regarding safety tips for this area but on the other hand I would not worry about it. Behave the way as in other tourist places, don't show of with lot of cash money or expensive jewellery and store your precious belongings always in your room safe box when you're not using them.

Must say that I have no experience being on the streets after sunset, but we never encountered any safety problem or time sharing during our daily walks/visits.

Do ask about time sharing programs once you book a excursion, the (very) cheap ones can be risky, believe me, there are good agencies too.

People told us that the time sharing companies only trying to attract US or Canadian citizens but still be cautious.

Have a nice trip, Mexico is beautiful,

PS : love your city

eMBie

5. Re: Tips or advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 00:18