We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

thornton33
6 posts
Save Topic
Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

How dangerous is the Riviera Maya in terms of drugs and abduction? I want to be safe when I travel and I've been told that Mexico is high on the abduction list...

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

Hi there I have never had any problems down there in 5 years we have gone.The resorts are sucure and gated.There are lots of tourits in that area unless you are a female by yourself and renting a car then I would be nervious.I went with 3 other girls last Oct not one worry.Your cell phones work fine there.Its a beautiful area enjoy it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

I'm a female traveling by myself and I will be renting a car - anyone on Rt 307 on March 15 or 22nd should be more afraid of me than anything else.

Having been to Mexico probably once a year, every year since the mid 80s - I could lie and say I'm posting from the kidnapper's laptop....

is this post for real? it sounds pretty trollesque (and I'm pretty much replying to the 2nd post, which sounds like a guess!)

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

Yes it is a guess but me personaly would not do it you never know!!you are in a different country.I have heard of rentals getting pulled over and the police taking all there money then letting then go there is much you can do.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,841 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

We've travelled to Mexico numerous times and often take our children. We have never felt in any danger at all - quite honestly, I was more scared when we took a wrong exit off the freeway in Los Angeles!!!!

Having said that, you need to exercise the same caution in Mexico that you would elsewhere - leave the blingy jewellery at home, don't flash big wads of cash, be aware of your surroundings at all times (which, of course, precludes getting so drunk that you don't know what's going on), obey the laws of the country you're in, including not buying drugs or other illegal substances.

Tourism is their main industry; they can't afford for us NOT to be safe.

thornton33
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

Ok, my original post was legit. I have been told by a few people that Mexico CAN be sketch. The only reason why I'm not freaking out is because I live in the US, and there are certain places of EVERY city that are sketch. So perhaps I've answered my own question. Would anyone agree?

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

Yes!!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

yucatanliving.com/editorial/safe-to-travel-l…

I found this informative and provacative.

Edmonton, AB, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

I have rented a car and driven with my small children in Mexico. Use the same cautions you would use in any big city. I live in the murder capital of Canada. I can hardly wait to get to Mexico to feel safe. :-)

Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

It's pretty safe.

10. Re: Level of danger in the Riviera Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 22:16