We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deals worth it???-BB Grand Esmerelda-GrandCoco Bay

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
459 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Deals worth it???-BB Grand Esmerelda-GrandCoco Bay

I've read the reviews-first off I am worndering what is wrong with the water at BB Grand Esmerelda? Also is there anything I should know that is negative about Grand Coco Bay?

thanks

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deals worth it???-BB Grand Esmerelda-GrandCoco Bay

We went to the BBGE last year and are returning in June of this year. The resort had the best food and rooms of any of the resort we have been to in the 9 years that we have been going to Mexico. Another nice thing is that you do not have to wear wristbands.

I can only think of 2 cons regarding the resort. First, it is located too far from Playa to walk and a taxi is $14 each way. Second, the beach is beautiful but the water is not the azure blue that most of the area is. Neither of these items was an issue for us.

Our room was cleaned 3-4 times each day and soiled towels replaced--a level of service that we have never received at any other resort in the area.

I cannot comment on Grand Coco Bay because I have never been there.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
cleveland
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Deals worth it???-BB Grand Esmerelda-GrandCoco Bay

Hi there the Blue bay is a 5 apple and I think the coco bay is a 4 apple .The BB is also newer.

Mentioned in this post
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
10,469 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Livonia,MI
Level Contributor
303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deals worth it???-BB Grand Esmerelda-GrandCoco Bay

Dear Parrottgirl, My husband and I have been to both resorts and enjoyed them for very different reasons. We went to BBGE twice getting a good price out of Detroit. The first trip it was still very new. We paid 800.00pp then we went shortly after they expanded & they were a little understaffed. We really enjoyed the resort, food and service. I would not swim directly in front of the resort because it was buit on a mangrove & the water is brown. We walked down the beach a bit & swam in front of Secrets Capri. But, the water was still not as beautiful as Grand Coco Bay and the streach of beach there. Cocoa Bay let boats stay in front of the hotel which seems to anoy some people. The food is very limited but, we always found enough to eat.You are right in Playa with a great choice of restaurants and we ate dinner out a few times. I would still reccomend doing the all inclusive pkge though for the convenience and drinks which were good. We paid $700pp. The food & resort is not as nice as bbge but, we loved being able to walk into town and the beautiful turquoise water. Cocoa bay should be priced cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach
Brevard County, FL
4. Re: Deals worth it???-BB Grand Esmerelda-GrandCoco Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 12:34