We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

US
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

Hi,

we are currently at Catalonia Royal Tulum and travelling back to US on Tuesday afternoon flight.

The hotel reps keep telling us that we have to be at the airport 3!!! (three) hours prior to scheduled departure. Is this true?

how busy is the airport on the weekdays?

our flight is around 1:30pm

Is there customs to go through here in Cancun?

thanks to all in advance for answering.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

The long and short answer is yes. Both the airport and your airline will say 3 hours. While the airport is not as busy on weekdays compared to the weekend it is better to give yourself the extra time just in case. Customs will be at your first airport back in the USA.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

Bob is correct. I have read many threads on here about people that thought the 3 hour rule was unnecessary and were horrified that they missed their flight because they didn't allow enough time to check-in. Also coming from the Tulum area you'll want to allow lots of time for traffic on 307.

What's worse, sitting around the airport an extra hour or missing your flight?

bahiatraveler
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

Hello,

We just got back last Tuesday and I have to tell you that I would absolutely plan on getting to the airport early.

We got picked up from our hotel at 8:30 AM for an 11:30 flight back to Newark, NJ.

The shuttle was a little late and we arrived at the airport at about 9:10. We were flying Continental and there are no Kiosk machines. You have to check in with an agent. We were on-line for what seemed like a solid hour. We then had a line to go through Security. We ended up getting to the gate at about 10:45 AM and they started pre-boarding for our flight at about 11:10. We took off about 10 minutes early at 11:20.

All in all, while we were there "early" it didn't seem like we were too early. In fact there were times where we were concerned that we might miss our flight.

We got to the airport at just under 2 1/2 hours before take off and we were just a bit nervous. 3 hours is probably about right.

Best of luck!!!

John

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

Stayed at Dreams Tulum last May and arrived at the airport two hours before our return flight to the US. Ended up with plenty of time at the airport, shopped, snacked, sat at the gate and read a magazine. Hard to say though as every day is different at any airport. I'd never do three hours, but perhaps I'm a bit of a gambler and lucked out the past trip. Two trips to Puerto Vallarta also and never arrived at the airport more than two hours before a flight and had no problem there either.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

It depends what is worse for you? Sitting around the airport for an extra hour or missing your flight.

Remember the 'what ifs'...

Traffic,line ups,security delays and checks,etc.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

I would never gamble on missing my flight. I have been to Mexico 11 times now and usually get to the airport about 3 hours ahead of my flight. Several times we sat around waiting to board our plane but acouple times custom took so long that we had no time to spare. I would rather sit(shop) an hour at the airport then miss my plane or have to hurry up through the airport to catch my flight. Believe me, running through the Cancun airport is no fun.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

Depending on the airline it can sometimes take more than an HOUR just to get to the ticket counter, then you still have to deal with security.

I'd rather have time to kill (that's what the bars/restos are for which are not cheap by the way). Missing a plane is not an option.

And after the ticket counter, and the security check (they take LOTS of stuff away from you), there is ANOTHER security chck at the GATE. I've seen them take away water that people bought in the secure area).

Also remember if you buy liquor at duty free, it will get delivered to plane and you carry on, however, if you change planes in the USa you have to repack the liquor in your luggage.

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

We just returned on Sunday and did arrive 3 hours early. We where the 2nd people to check in (early flight) we had a little extra time but I think it was well worth it. Also we did buy liquor in the duty free and since we had a nonstop flight we where allowed to carry the liquor with us we didn't have to have it carried to the plane for us.

The trip before last we did arrive 2 hours early only to have our flight canceled, only the people that arrived earlier where transfered to another flight, we had to come back the next day and do it all over again.

In my opinion don't chance missing your flight.

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

OK, I'd appreciate your help on this one. Our first time to Cancun. Had planned to arrive at the airport two hours ahead (which means we'll get picked up at 6:30 on a Monday morning to go home). If we print out our boarding passes at our resort, will that make it doable for us to arrive the standard two hours early? I'm not loving the idea of having to leave at 5:30 AM, but like so many other things on this forum, I will defer to your judgement. Thanks . . . you guys are the best . . . can hardly wait to get to the Mayan Riviera for some much needed R & R!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun airport? should I arrive 3 hours before the flight ??

No time savings at all. You still have to check-in at the counter (think standing in line) to turn in your tourist card. Better to be safe and get there 3 hours ahead of departure time.