We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI resort help!

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
AI resort help!

DH and I had plans to spend our anniversary trip this October at Couples Swept Away in Negril, but some unexpected medical bills have now taken that out of our budget.

So, we are looking for a less expensive AI resort and thinking maybe Mexico has what we are looking for, but there are SO many resorts, not sure where to look! We have lowered our expectations, since we will be spending less, but below are things we must have.

1) Sandy beach with warm, clear, calm water and no sand bag whales----does this exist anymore in RM???

2) Good food

3) Good service

4) Clean rooms/resort

We want the best value for our $$$. Is there anywhere in RM that we can find this, or do we have to head to a different country?

Thank you for any help.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI resort help!

There are some really discounted deals right now - a few recent posts talk about big price drops at the Excellence resorts that have prices down to 220 a day!

You might start working with a TA who can explore the best options for you.

I do hope you have a chance to enjoy CSA in the future - it is my favorite AI resort and a special place.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI resort help!

caviargal---We WILL be going to CSA in the future, but not for a couple more years.

I will check out the Excellence.

We are hoping to stay about $1200 per person including air from O'Hare, if that helps with recommendations.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI resort help!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k2718…

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AI resort help!

Hi there here are 3 great ones we have been to down there.

Iberostar Lindo

but the calmer water s are at the

Barcelo resorts

Grand Pallidum /white sands resort

and no sand bags at these,food is great,rooms are large and clean.This area is a newer area so the resorts are not old 1999 and newer.

Check the prices with apple vacations,funjet or cheap carribean.Good luck you will love this area its beautiful.The resorts are more in the tropics no more than 3 floors just beautiful.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI resort help!

The Excellence resorts have GREAT prices, but I am just not liking the reviews of the water at the resorts. Murky, cloudy water is not what we want in a beach vacation---although everything else, including the price sounded SO perfect. Just can't do cloudy, murky seagrass filled water.

tam---I will check the resorts you mentioned. I thought the Iberostars had the sand bag whales though, will check that out again.

Maybe we just need to look outside Mexico for the clear, clean water.

NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI resort help!

I second the Barcelo resorts but would recommend only the Barcelo Maya Palace. The beach at the Palace is calm, perfect for snorkeling and has some sandy spots sans rocks. Less than a 5 minute walk down the beach takes you to the Barcelo Beach resort which you have access to as a Palace guest. At this part of the beach there is powdery sand and the water is crystal clear.

It is definitely not in the same class as Excellence but the service was good & the food was good (French Restaurant was the best & the guacamole was incredible). I was also impressed with the buffet for an AI.

If you do choose this resort I would recommend a private transfer because if you are on a group transfer it can take up to 2 hours to get to the resort.

7. Re: AI resort help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 22:18