We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Topic
In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention plan to issue a warning against any non-essential travel to Mexico, said Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. The move could potentially devastate an already struggling tourism industry in the country.

cnn.com/2009/…index.html

Exotik Mayan Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Mercanti Viaggi
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
KayTours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

I don't consider my trip to Riviera Maya next month to be non-essential travel. I have no plans to cancel or change my essential vacation.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

Just do not fly into or change at the MExico City airport. but to fly into cancun looks fine. we are at epm and no one is very concerned expect for the people whose flight goes through or stops in mexico city. they are all changing their flights in order to stay away from there.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
498 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

Yes, I mean after all, they never use the same planes that fly to Mexico to fly to Cancun...

ontario
Level Contributor
478 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

There have been many confirmed cases of people who had only been to Cancun, and contracted Swine Flu (diagnosed on there return).

boston
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

What is EPM? There are eight of us going to Royal Hideaway Saturday, looking forward to the trip for 6 months, and not sure what we should do.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

Well Im going in mid June and have no plans to cancel at this time. Ive been watching everyday and so far unless they close the borders Im getting my Tamiflu and other OTC flu meds and wipes, surgical gloves, sanitizer, etc before I go and plan on having a great time. I live in CT... we have reports in NYC which is a skip away!! Why would I potentially lose money and book somewhere else when we have reports of the flu so close to home anyways!

Im going!!

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

deweyboston, I believe they were referring to the Excellence Puerto Mujeres resort when they said EPM.

SLC, UT
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

would you go if your vaca is planned in 14 days? and can you get tamiflu prescribed if your going there and dont feel sick?

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

I cancelled my trip because I am not going on vacation with a drug store "in tow"

We were going to SMB on June 13th and now we are going to Jamaica on June 27th.

We have been wanting to visit Jamaica for many years but we always end up in Mexico.

Its a personal choice and you are the only one that can make it, unless they close the borders.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: In light of the swine flu, the U.S. State Department and the

I think this is getting a little crazy, yes?. Hundreds of thousands of people die every year from regular seasonal flu, and nobody goes around yelling "Pandemic!". (As I learned the definition of pandemic in school, I don't think this qualifies.)Just because of the word "swine", and (maybe?) because it started in Mexico, people- INCLUDING the CDC and the WHO- are overreacting, to say the least. I think the post-911 world has gone a little overboard and overprotective.

(Btw, ten years ago I was diagnosed with an "Asian" flu strain I caught on good ol' Cape Cod, and it had me in bed for almost three weeks. I have never been so sick fo so long. I know what bad flu can be like.)

I agree wholeheartedly with previous posters- this IS essential travel.

Mom and I have been planning this trip for months. We systematically went through our lists of pros and cons. We finally decided on Riviera Maya and Excellence. We got the club swim up. We've been dreaming of eating watermelon in hammocks. We're leaving on Satuday. And even though we can hear the voice of Grandma from the Other Side yelling, "What the hell is wrong with youse?! There's beaches in Florida! You're gonna get a terrible disease, or get kidnapped and you'll die!" We're going. SANS masks. (But of course we'll carry Purell- but that's

because JFK is usually dirty!)

We'd love to hear from anyone else going this weekend. Happy travels to us all- wherever our destination.