We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which edventure options do you recommend?

Victoria
Level Contributor
245 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
which edventure options do you recommend?

Hi there- we are thinking of Coba plus some other options on an edventure tour. What were highlights for you? We were thinking of snorkeling off on Akumal beach on our own on a different day, so don't know if it is worth it to pay for additional sea snorkeling or not. Opinions? Thanks.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which edventure options do you recommend?

Hi JoJo,

It's hard to answer your question without knowing where you are going, where you are staying, if you will have a car and (especally) what your interests are.

I strongly agree that your most reasonable snorkeling option is to snorkel off the beach in Akumal. I've been to several Mayan Sites, and Coba was about my least favorite. Most resorts have travel offices (usually in the lobby) with tour opterators. Two tours that we took recently and liked were A two-part day long trip to the salt flats and mangroves at Rio Lagartos (where the pink flamingoes are) followed by a guided tour of the Ek Balam Ruins. Another was a day long tour and snorkeling trip at Sian-Ka'an. Both trips included great lunches.

We have also enjoyed spending the day at Xcaret, which is part zoo, part park, part aquarium - and it has a specatcular night-time show.

Have a great trip!

Victoria
Level Contributor
245 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which edventure options do you recommend?

thanks Lbuggs -- we are staying at Gran Palladium and considered renting a car but not sure yet. We thought we might leave Chichen Itza for another trip to the area, where we would rent a car and go for an over-nighter or else leave very early in the AM. We will definitely go down to Tulum ruins via collectivo but wanted to see another site as well. We are a couple in our 40s - we will mainly be relaxing and snorkeling but wanted an excursion or two. Edventures has awesome reviews on here but it sounds like some of the stuff, you can do on your own (although I expect their expertise and guides are great). The tours you went on sound really interesting.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which edventure options do you recommend?

I think any of the Edventura tours would work well for you. Coba and the cenotes is a good trip. Of the three major Maya ruins sites Coba is our favorite.

Here is a reply I have made before but is still good:

Tulum is the nearest to you but the smallest of the three main ruin sites (Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza). Great beach but only a limited exposure to Mayan ruins due to its size and very little shade. Coba is the next nearest, and in our opinion, the best of the three. Coba is the oldest of the three sites and is almost pure Mayan with very little Toltec influence. It is more of a jungle setting with a fair amount of walking or you can rent a Pedi cab with a driver to peddle you around. You can still climb the main pyramid and this is a plus for us. Also, less crowded than Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza is one of the new 7 wonders of the world (very interesting how this was arrived at) but the farthest from where you are staying and the most commercialized. The ruins at Chichen Itza are combined Mayan and Toltec and excavated more than Coba. However, Chichen Itza can be very crowded and you have a lot of vendors/family’s selling stuff along many of the trails/paths between buildings. Again, our favorite of the three is Coba.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which edventure options do you recommend?

Hi there Xel-Ha was our fav by far down there have been twice.It is real close to your resort.

5. Re: which edventure options do you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:16