We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

We are staying at the Grand Palladium & have free transfers through Funjet. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the extra $150 to hire our own private non-stop transfers. I know that it's hit and miss on how many stops etc. through the Funjet transfers, but about how much time do you think we would gain by using a non-stop? I've heard that the Funjet transfers make you leave your hotel and be at the airport extremely early, but not sure if this is true as this is our first trip to Mexico. We will be arriving July 30 a Thursday at 4:25 P.M. and will be departing August 5 a Wednesday at 4:25 P.M.

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
712 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

I am not sure how many people you are traveling with ... we stayed in Tulum several years ago with Apple - we were on the bus almost 3 hours. we are going again in October. we have booked a transfer thru usa transfers that is 130 round trip - private for 2. to me it's worth it. I would check the details of the transfer....but 150 does not sound too bad

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

We are a family of 4. 2 adults and 2 children ages 6 and 13. Funjet is free and AGI Tours is $150.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

Hi there funjet is great,You will get there just as fast,Funjet has van that only hold 6 people so with you 4 thats only enough room for 2 more thats not bad.We used funjet 3 years ago there was 5 of us and we where the only ones.If you do have others they usually are going to the same place or close by.Pick up time is usually about 1 1/2hrs before you have to be at the airport so I would say about noon on Wed they will pick you up.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

I don't know how long a bus ride you would be looking at, however there are literally dozens of resorts between the Grand Palladium and the Cancun airport.

My wife and I went to a resort closer to Playa Del Carmen and found our transfer about an hour from the airport. It was tolerable. If your transfer is a larger bus stopping at many destinations you could be in for a long ride. The $150 may be worth it.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

I would question the return pick up 1.5 hours prior to aircraft departure. Unless the three hour prior to departure recommendations has drastically changed, 1.5 hours puts you at risk of being denied boarding.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

I think that he meant 3 1/2 hours early including the 1 1/2 hour drive to have left around noon if our flight is at 4:25. When the earlier poster used Funjet, where they using Lomas Travel? That's who they are using now. If they only have vans, I'll not worry about it. However if they have the large buses I could be in trouble.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

Yes as far as I know they are still using Lomas travel.They have been using them since I have been going 7 years ago.We prefer Funjet to Apple but they no longer have the Charter direct flights thrugh usa3000 anymore,like Apple does.With Apple we have to take the big bus.

akumal
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

Yes it's is 100 % better to have a private transfer and avois waiting to fill the van and stoping at 3 or 4 hotels , before you get to yours it's the 150 us roud trip ?

if you need a cheapear transfer let me know at

cesar77710@hotmail.com

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

You might have a little more flexibility with a private transfer since they dont have to figure other people into the schedule.

You really need to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time. So I'm guessing they will pick you up at noon-ish. I think GP might be a 90 min ride....they MIGHT make it in less time.....But I personally would rather kill time at the airport than be denied bordering.

Also depends on your airline. For instance, American Airlines are NOTORIOUSLY long. Last time I flew American (and it wasnt a holiday, it took well over an hour just in the line to get to the ticket counter.

Check with Funjet if THEY have NON-STOP Transfers. It would likely be a lot cheaper than hiring private transportation. (With NON-STOP Transfers you still might share but you SHOULD be guaranteed that you are the first stop going and last stop returning.)

Livonia,MI
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time would we save w/private transfer from airport?

We have upgraded to a non-stop thru Funjet and it was a lot less than 150.00. We have done it both ways: 1) private and 2) non-stop but shaing with others. The private was a little quicker since you don't have to wait for anyone to join you. I highly recommend doing 1 or the other. I can't remember the cost but I think it was around 30-40 per person. You really save a lot of time since the drop offs can take a long time just to go thru the other resort drive-ways.