We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Victoria
Level Contributor
245 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Just wondering if it is warmer in Nov/Dec or Jan/Feb generally.... certainly will be warmer than Canada but just checking if one time is any hotter than the other?

Thank you.

3-in-1 Discovery Combo Tour: Tulum...
282 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Free Cancellation
ATV, Ziplines and Cenote Combo Tour...
136 Reviews
from US$71.00*
Free Cancellation
Playa del Carmen Jungle Tour: Tulum...
103 Reviews
from US$138.99*
Free Cancellation
Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Here's my take on that from my experience. I know the pools don't usually start warmimg up until the first 2 weeks of Feb. There seems to be a change in the weather around that time---at least when I went on that first week in Feb (twice). The first year the weather was cool, cloudy and rained at night for about 4 days of the 8 we were there and the pools were pretty chilly. Mid week the sun came out and they were fine. The second time the sun was out the whole week and the pools were perfect. Up until the week before we left each time the reviewers were complaining of the cold pools. Usually in Jan and Feb (and maybe towards the end of Nov) you'll see all the reviews stating that the pools were really cool and not many were in them. That is their winter even though the ocean is warm and the days are 80 degrees or so. So if you are a beach person go anytime but honestly if you are a pool person I'd wait until the 2nd week of Feb or after (not the 3rd week because that is Feb vacation and the price will go way up and the children will fill up the resort)JMO

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

P.S. Obviously if you stay at a resort with a heated pool there is no problem. I know the Secrets resorts each have a heated pool.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Nov/Dec is fall getting into winter.

Jan/Feb is winter , generally colder.

We were there in Feb last yr. and it was freakishly COLD. Had on blue jeans and sweater during the day.

I swore I'd never go again in Jan or Feb.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Sunset is earlier in Jan/Feb. You'll have less daylight too.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Here are a few sites with climate info for the area that might help you.

playamayanews.com/area_info/beaches_and_weat…

http://www.cancun.com/Weather/

playa.info/playa-del-carmen-info-weather-and…

Victoria
Level Contributor
245 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

wow, thanks for all the info. I had thought weather might be improving / warming up by February so sounds like I am w-a-a-y off. I know, stll warmer than home... and I guess all the folks that do go in Dec-February do still get some nice weather.

thanks guys!

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
364 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

We went end November/beginning December last year, weather was awesome. Rained once at night briefly. It was chilly in the evening and you needed a sleeve but it was HOT during the day and perfect for sunbathing.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

Weather can change, however we've been going around mid-Feb. for many years and the weather has been great! Hot days, warm nights. Maybe needed a sweater once or twice at night. Ocean is warm enough for all day swimming/snorkeling. Very little rain. Sun-up early, sun-down around 6 PM.

Victoria
Level Contributor
245 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

thanks cormac55 -- sounds like a great time to go, as does early December. Prices are a little cheaper early December, though, so we'll probably look at that for now. Appreciate the info!

10. Re: Weather in Nov/Dec versus later January/February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 05:18