We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

I found two great resorts one is upscale, nice and a little pricier. the others are above average but not pampering/four season style.

my biggest concern is kids..

we've looked at Palladium seems to fit the bill and then i was thinking of some other resorts- Grand Velas, Dreams etc.. menus everything looks phenomenal, premium drinks.

Palladium everything looks great too, but hsuband and I do not get a way much (kids are 7,9 and 2) I cannot decide. Me on one hand wants the pampering, luxury etc of the 5 star, and on the other hand i know i will get a lot at the other resort w/out the exrrans and also my concern for the kids to be all be happy.

what would you do if you couldn't decide?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

sorry for typos, typed fast. but extras I meant. do we want just above average w/ out the extras or add in the extras, my worry is the kids. the menus all are kid friendly but they have other things that an average AI wouldn't have including premium drinks etc. a gorgeous resort.. just wory about the little ones. husband and I would never get to do this resort alone until my son was at least 5.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

Your kids will have a good time where ever. If you go to a 4 star and want a 5 star you will be thinking "it would be nicer.....if we stayed at the 5 star.

If you go to the 5 star, you won't be thinking, man we should have stayed somewhere with cheaper booze, less luxury, cheaper food..

Just think of it as teaching the kids to appreciate the good things.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

Hi Rose.

I am also currently looking for a suitable resort. I think I will go with a laid back, moderately-priced one since I do not forsee myself eating at an ala carte restaurant (an hour-long typical dinner meal) with my kids (6 and 2). So it will be buffets for us. I AM looking for a resort that offers room service, though, and hopefully a balcony. My vision is this: kids go to be early from being tired in the sun, and hubby and I call for some food, drinks and chill out in the balcony. A little romance while on a family vacation!

Currently looking at Catalonia Yucatan, GP Kantenah, Sandos Playacar, or the Barcelos. Pricing looks good for Catalonia and Sandos right now. But we will see. Trip is not until May 2010.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

sorry *to bed early*

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

I guess it depends on your budget. If you can easily afford the more upscale resort, then I say go for it.

On the other hand, if you're on a budget, then I think BizzyMom has a valid point in that you may not be able to really enjoy the facilities offered by the higher end resort with the kids in tow.

If you have a trusted person (grandparents maybe?) with whom you feel comfortable leaving your children, then you may want to consider doing a less expensive vacation with the kids and then splurging on an upscale, adults-only resort for a week away with your husband and leave the kids at home. Does WONDERS for a marriage, I tell ya!!!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

I can't provide specifics, but I think you should do tons of research on kids clubs/activities for the 7 and 9 year old. If the kids are not having a good time, chances are, they won't let you have a good time either : )

One poster mentioned that it might be hard to enjoy all the amenities of a 5 star resort with kids in tow. This is likely true, but I would suggest looking into whether the hotel provides babysitters (and how much they cost/how much notice is necessary etc) in the event you want to have a nice relaxing dinner.

7. Re: travel w/kids torn fourseason style or not? can't decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 06:18