We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso or GBP - Akumel

6 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso or GBP - Akumel

My wife and I are looking for a relaxing location where we can spend our anniversary and are considering either the Iberostar or the GBP Akumel. One thing we are concerned with is whether my wife can suntan topless, can anyone tell us which of these two resorts would be the most accomodating.

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso or GBP - Akumel

Topless tanning is accepted at the beach but not at the pools in most resorts in the Rivera Maya, although it is not promoted.

I would chose the IB chain over the Bahia...but if you really mean the Grand and comparing it to the Akumal, well thats sorta like compairing The Ritz to the Holiday Inn. You'll pay the difference also. Go with the IB Lindo or Maya. If you are looking for an adults only, the Valentin is a great choice, along with Secrets.

United States
Level Contributor
218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso or GBP - Akumel

I have not been to the GBP in Akumel, but have been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the IB*Grand in August 2008. This is probably this best hotel in the Riviera Maya.

If you are looking for an upscale, adults only resort in the Riviera Maya, I would suggest you take a long look at this hotel located about 30 minutes south of the airport. It is adults only, and first class all the way. While it is on the expensive side, it is in my opinion worth it. It has two outdoor pools; a quiet pool and an infinity pool overlooking the Sea. The latter has a pool bar and waitress service also taking orders along the pool.

Regarding your question re: topless, although there were not a majority, there were topless women both at the beach and at the pool area, including on the loungers around the pool deck and floating in the pool on rafts. My wife was one of them.

My wife and others were also topless at the beach; both sunning on chaises and walking along the beach. Staff served and/or conversed with the women who were topless around the pool area and in the pool itself without problems. I did not see anyone asked to cover up. Of course since this was an upscale adults-only resort, no one was acting stupid; gawking, taking photos, etc. My wife felt confortable topless lying at the beach, walking the beach, and at the pool.

We had the time of our lives resting and relaxing while celebrating our anniversary and cannot say enough about this hotel.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso or GBP - Akumel

Topless sunbathing is prohibited at the pools at the Grand, but you can do that on the beach. They don't have any signs up, but I was asked to cover up (and others were as well) when laying out at the tranquility pool. They were really nice about it.

4. Re: Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso or GBP - Akumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 05:17