We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to travel to Mexico

Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to travel to Mexico

I am in the "research" portion of planning our next trip to Mexico!! It makes me so excited :) We stayed Jan 2009 at Dreams Puerto Aventuras and loved it. It was kind of cool when we visited in January and are looking to be a little warmer. One of the GREAT workers at our resort said late May is a wonderful time to come. Can anyone provide any insight on this for me?! :)

THANKS A TON!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Esencia
Hotel Esencia
#1 of 4 hotels in Xpu-Ha
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

We love mid-Feb. March is also considered prime. The months of Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar are usually the least rainy. However, they are also "high season" rates and crowds. Summer months tend to be hot and humid but have their own attractiveness-lower cost and crowds, plus typical vacation season. Later in the year is great, some folks worry about tropical storms:). It's a matter of choice. Personally, from Michigan, I need the winter break.

Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

Anyone else want to give me their opinion on the "best time" to travel to Mexico? We had a employee at Dreams P.A. tell us late May was the best...what do you think???

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chanute, Kansas
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

We have been in March, April and June and we are going again April 20th. I thought the pool water was too cool in March and it was spring break when we went so it was a young crowd. June was pretty hot at times, you definately wanted to be in the water. April was just right, I wanted to schedule in May this year but we have 4 kids in school and May is just too busy for my husband and I to take off to Mexico!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chanute, Kansas
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

We have been in March, April and June and we are going again April 20th. I thought the pool water was too cool in March and it was spring break when we went so it was a young crowd. June was pretty hot at times, you definately wanted to be in the water. April was just right, I wanted to schedule in May this year but we have 4 kids in school and May is just too busy for my husband and I to take off to Mexico!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

1) We've been to Cancun in mid February: weather was great...the incoming spring breakers for the last half of our trip: not so great!

2) Next time we went to Mayan in early April: HOT weather, water temps great for swimming

3) Last year we arrived mid January: just missed a crappy week of weather (according to those at the tail end of their trip) we were there for 11 days and it was spectacular! Water in pools and sea 'refreshing' (aka: a wee bit chilly until you get used to it)

4) We're heading back next month (April 9th-18th) and we're sure hoping the weather continues to warm up! Wow! They've had quite a brutal high season. I'm expecting daytime hot and sunny and hoping the nights are back to seasonal. Especially hoping the water warms up considerably as this was our main reason for picking April for a 2nd time.

Good luck deciding. It can be all over the place, weather wise.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,480 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Northern US
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

I've been to the Riviera Maya at least once every month of the year except July. My favorite time to visit is mid to late October. It is near the end of the rainy season but the weather is usually sunny and warm, the pools are comfortable, the prices are low and the resorts and attractions are not crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

We have had good luck with weather in August. It is pretty hot and humid and it is hurricane season but we saw little rain on two different trips. Prices are great in August.

I have been there a few times in February and I don't like it. The pools/sea are cold, it is crowded, expensive and I have found the weather can be sketchy - many days in the mid 70's and windy.

We are going in early May this year and I am hoping that is a sweet spot. It is not the rainy season but it is not a cold month either.

8. Re: Best time of year to travel to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 05:16