We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gave Jamaica a 2nd try -- but there's nothing like Mexico

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Gave Jamaica a 2nd try -- but there's nothing like Mexico

So after a less than impressive trip to the Grand Lido Negril in 2006, we decided to give Jamaica one more try last November to try out the new IB Grand Rose Hall. It was a fine hotel, but the service was terrible and the spa was unimpressive.

I had such high hopes after all the great review of the IB Grand Paraiso. We even walked down there after our stay at SMB in Nov. 2008. I thought, if this place had as nice a beach as SMB it would be almost perfect. Then an IB Grand opened in Jamaica at a location with a great beach. How could I go wrong? Right? -- Well, after 2 attempts at Jamaica I realize that you just cannot beat the service and quality you get in the Riviera Maya.

Now, I have to choose a resort.

We loved SMB in Nov. 2008. It was brand spanking new then and they still had a few opening hiccups -- like the spa didn't have hot water and most of the water circuits were not available. Other than that, we had a fantastic experience there.

We also loved Le Blanc Spa in Nov. 2007. My husband's only complaint was that he preferred to be away from the busy atmosphere of Cancun.

We thoroughly enjoyed Excellence Riviera Cancun in May 2005, but wanted a place with a nicer beach.

And we thoroughly enjoyed the Moon Palace in May 2000 -- but that was when we were right out of school. Our standards probably require a little higher level of luxury these days when we are travelling for our annual adults only vacation.

We are considering a return to SMB, but since I've been out of the Riviera Maya loop for a while, wanted to see if I've missed any other great new resorts that we should consider. Thanks in advance for any guidance on the latest and greatest.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
6,362 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
13,821 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,609 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gave Jamaica a 2nd try -- but there's nothing like Mexico

Have a look at Grand Velas. Have heard nothing but rave reviews. There was a " Live From" thread just this week. It's on the Playa del Carmen Forum.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
3,605 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gave Jamaica a 2nd try -- but there's nothing like Mexico

Thanks for the advice on the "live from." I was just reading some of the latest reviews. It looks like a contender. It could even turn into an extended family vacation there. Our daughter would love it. Thinking of seeing if the whole family might like to spend Thanksgiving in Playa.

3. Re: Gave Jamaica a 2nd try -- but there's nothing like Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 08:30