We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
392 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

We were informed this morning that our Apple Vacations charter fight has been delayed for 5 hours today, I'm assuming because of the rain.

In addition, my husband has gotten some sort of food poisoning (don't know if it was from here last night or the restaurant at Coba yesterday) and has a very high fever and has been violently ill since early this morning.

I had to fight with the front desk to let us stay in the room until our transfer picks us up at 5pm today, (they were originally supposed to pick us up at noon). They were extremely unsympathetic toward our predicament. They expected him to hang out in the bar or lobby for five hours while he was throwing up and having diarrhea. They kept telling me someone was already assigned to our room and we needed to be out of here by noon. I was practically in tears but they couldn't offer me any other option. Finally, an hour later, they called me and told me we could stay in the room until 4pm for an extra $45 charge.

I wouldn't have minded the delay if my husband weren't very sick (and if it weren't raining). We could have hung out by the pool or beach, but I just want to get out of here. I'm not even sure how my husband is going to be able to travel in his current condition or whether I should call a doctor. He is so sick he can barely move. I am hoping by the time our transfer comes he will be feeling better, and I hope our flight is not delayed any further. :(

This vacation was pretty great up until today but my impression of the VIM has been greatly tarnished today. They are so welcoming and warm until your time is up and then they just kick you to the curb.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Is there a doctor there at the resort? Maybe he/she could just give your husband a little something to get him through the flight...and maybe prevent him from becoming dehydrated.

Good luck. Feel so badly for you...AND him.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Thanks, kimlo. I've given him some electrolyte stuff I bought at the gift shop and I do have some Cipro but I'm not sure if I should give that to him. He can't seem to keep anything down. Right now he is sleeping so I'm hoping the worst is over and that in 2 1/2 hours he'll be OK to travel. It sucks to be sick when you're traveling.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Do you have any Imodium with you. I would have him take that.

Let us know what happens.

Edited: 26 June 2010, 21:41
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

This five hour delay sounds like a blessing in disguise. Since he has been so sick this morning, can you imagine the same issue while he's standing in line or waiting on the runway to take off...etc. This delay might be just what he needs to get his legs back under him before dealing with the flight and the airport scene. Best of luck. I think this sounds like an ideal time to take Immodium if you can find it. I feel badly for the two of you.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Thanks everyone. Yes, I definitely thought about the delay being a blessing in disguise. I don't think he would have been able to travel in his earlier condition.

He took some Imodium early this morning when he first started getting sick but I'm not sure how much actually got into his system. I think maybe he got everything out of his system by now. He hasn't been throwing up or anything in the past hour or so. Just sleeping with a high fever.

We are being picked up in an hour and 1/2. I just hope we're not stuck in the airport for hours with more delays. Poor guy. :(

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

It is perhaps too late now but I would have consulted a doctor

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your concern and help. We finally made it home after midnight last night and my husband is feeling much better. I think it was just some sort of food poisoning. I'm actually glad we had the delay because by the time our flight left he was much better. Just tired and sore and feverish but not throwing up or anything.

We had a great trip but are glad to be back home in sunny California.

Enjoy all of your travels!

Ohio
Level Contributor
532 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

I am so happy to hear that you all made it home safely. Traveling ill is so hard! I caught some bug on a cruise this past spring break and was misearable the whole way home. Take care of your big guy. When he is all better, you may need a spa day just for you....;)

Hugs,

Chelle

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Even though i do not know you when i read your story I was hoping everything worked out the best for you. Last night was even thinking about you...glad you are home safe

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stuck at VIM with sick husband - flight delayed 5 hours. :(

Glad all is ok. When you say " Just tired and sore and feverish but not throwing up or anything."....the anything covers the issue we all usually worry about.

Agree that the delay was a blessing in disguise.