We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach and food??

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach and food??

I thought I had decided on the Now Jade but now I have been reading that the beach isn't so great and that is important to us. So what resorts do you recomend that have both a good beach and good food? I know people will sugest secrets maroma but that is more than we are looking to spend, so any ideas would be very helpful as I am lost right now too many choices.....

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,929 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach and food??

well, there are over a hundred or so resorts that fit this broad list

Care to tell us more of your requirements

e.g

what is a good beach to you

what is good food

Adults/kids/ ?

Entertainment / close to PDC?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach and food??

A good beach would be somewhere that is good for swimming. We would be going in Oct so I dont think kids will be a big factor so Adults only wouldn't matter as much. I don't plan on going to PDC, maybe a cenote trip or tulum. Good food I know is subjective but somewhere that people seem to consistently list as good- you know something that doesn't taste like it comes from chilis.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach and food??

We love the Barcelo...been 3 times so far (once to the older Beach/Caribe section and twice to the newest Palace section) and are going back for the fourth time this November. :-)

Other resorts that we've stayed at in the area for comparison are: Gran Bahia Principe Akumal and Sandos Playacar....both nice, but both beaches and food were no where as good as any of the Barcelo Maya's. The Barcelo Palace is far more deluxe than either of the other resorts we stayed at. Much newer and way more modern.

The beach at Barcelo has it all....soft white sandy beaches for swimming and hanging out in as well as rocky/coral areas for excellent snorkeling....The beach is huge!!! I think it must be at least 2 km's long.

The food is the best we've found at any AI's so far. We've been to the above mentioned AI's as well as 2 other large chain resorts in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta for comparison.

If you are interested in the Barcelo, check out the unofficial barcelo maya web-site, there's alot of good info there too.

Feel free to contact me if you have an specific questions!

Cheers! :-)

Edited: 14 August 2010, 06:23
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Hotel Akumal Caribe
Hotel Akumal Caribe
469 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe...
10,504 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
13,984 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach and food??

Take a look at Catalonia Royal Tulum. It's a small reasonably priced adult only resort that has very good food and is on a beach (Xpuha) that is as good as Maroma.

Mentioned in this post
Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort
Catalonia Royal Tulum...
7,896 Reviews
Xpu-Ha, Mexico
Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach and food??

It sounds like you would like to be north of PDC (Now Jade and Secrets) but from our traveling around the Mayan Riviera, I have to say the nicest beaches are south of PDC, like Akumal, XpuHa, Tulum. Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
4,302 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach and food??

I have no preference on what area we stay in, the Jade just popped out to me because it looks nice as far as rooms and the property being new. What is the opinion if the Grand Sunset Princess? I am also considering CRT but the rooms are kind of dated. I guess I need to look past the rooms and focus more on beach and amenities.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Grand Sunset Princess...
9,795 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
7. Re: Best beach and food??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 06:17