We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Silversands vs Excellence Playa Mujeres

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Silversands vs Excellence Playa Mujeres

Considering both for my honeymoon. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Silversands vs Excellence Playa Mujeres

Having stayed at Excellence Riviera Cancun twice, with a trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres coming up---I can say I'd choose EPM over SS is money wasn't an issue. I did some research and here's what I came up with.

- SS is closer to "the action" than EPM. SS is south of Cancun, closer to most excursions like ziplining, cenote snorkeling, ruins in Tulum, etc. EPM is about a 20 minute drive in the opposite direction. If you aren't interested in doing excursions, or would like to visit Cancun and maybe do a day trip to Isla Mujeres for snorkeling or just a day or exploring the island, this shouldn't be an issue.

- EPM has a "better" beach. There is some seagrass, as there is at SS, but the beach itself is beautiful and you can walk uninterrupted for miles. The water is a nice blueish green and is free of rocks and the water is calm.

- Both resorts have a large variety of restaurants and bars to choose from, as well as 24-hour room service. You don't need wristbands at either resort.

- EPM has rooftop terrace rooms, which are supposed to be fantastic. With your own private plunge pool and a deck all to yourself, I'm sure there would be lots of "romantic moments" on your honeymoon.

- Both resorts are very modern looking, but EPM seems to have a bit more "lush" of a feel, with grown in plants and landscaping around the property. The pictures I've seen of SS, while modern, also look a bit sterile for my taste.

- Both resorts seem to have great pools. The lazy river at Excellence Resorts is always fun and the infinity pool at SS looks great.

- Not sure about the "preferred club" at Secrets resorts, but at Excellence in addition to a lounge, you also have a pool and section of beach dedicated to Excellence Club members.

- Customer service at both resorts will probably be great, we've never had a run-in with unfriendly workers at any resort we've been to in Mexico. That being said, we have always got the feeling at Excellence that anything we wanted, they would make happen. They are great on e-mail before the trip, have tried to accomodate our room requests on past visits and whenever we walk in, we just know we are in good hands and will have an awesome vacation.

All things said, both resorts are probably very comparable---it really just depends on what you want from your vacation.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Silversands vs Excellence Playa Mujeres

We have never been to EPM but have been to SSS and SMB so my perspective is on that.

SSS we received very poor customer service at check-in. When we didn't upgrade the room right away, the employee could have cared less about us. (We went on a AI 6 square deal with Apple). She gave us our room key and said it's down the stairs and to the left. My husband tried to give her the luggage tag and she told him the luggage would follow. On the way to our room, we stopped and made spa appointments - they had a great deal and we thought it would be very nice to start the vacation off right. It took us 20 minutes to find the room (weren't given a map). We made multiple calls to reception for our luggage and 2 hours later still not there. In addition we had to change then cancel our spa appointment as we were waiting for the luggage. As you can imagine - the hubby was not happy. I complained to a manager and he did make it right by giving us an oceanfront room however, they still couldn't find our luggage. About 20 minutes after we were in the room it showed up. (We came by private car so we know it came with us.)

The food buffet at the pool is very limited (not like Secrets maroma) and the staff are not as accommodating. At Maroma, if I wanted chicken wings the response was "It's my pleasure." At SSS I was told they are only served at a restaurant.

We are beach people and love a beautiful beach. We didn't expect Maroma beach but, the one issue that really stopped us from using the beach was the rock filled water. You couldn't walk into the water anywhere in front of the resort without stepping on rocks.

I do agree with the other poster that the entertainment at SSS was not as good as SMB. I did like the bars and decor at SSS better but that really doesn't make up for a good first impression.

3. Re: Secrets Silversands vs Excellence Playa Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:17