We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Hello, i have been trying to narrow down to a few hotels for beginning of may! i had posted a thread last week and got some suggestions but now price is getting more critical so these are what i have found in our price range.

My husband and i in our early/mid thirties are looking for a romantic and beautiful resort with good entertainment at night for six night coming from seattle, with the following:

Nice swimable beach with beach and drink/food service

Good service, friendly and prompt

Nice pools spread-out nicely w/pool bar and or service

good selection of food choices and a 24 hour menu/ must serve premium liquer!

Bonuses would be:

resort with open air restaurant/bar on beach

no reservations or limits to a la carts

free room service

We were hoping to be close to airport just for more vacation time but i know some of the resorts on my list are not that close. However i dont want to compromise my wants versus location.

Value is also a factor, i realize some resorts are worth top dollar and some are not. I will list my package prices with each hotel so you can compare value with all our wants:) thanks you so much!

I should have booked this months ago as gas prices are affecting the airfare very quickly!

my list not an any particular order are:

Grand Palladium Col/Kan resort 940pp reg room

Grand sirenis 913 pp dlx ocean view

Grand Bahia coba 955pp

Grand Esmeralda 969pp Ocean view

Fiesta americana condesa 1017 reg room

GR solaris 975.00pp Dlx ocean view w/jacuzzi

any advice would be greatly appreciated and if any resorts i have not listed that you feel fit the bill, thats great too! I feel like my brain is fried from all the reviews and has made it harder to choose than easier:)!

thanks again so much!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Grand Palladium fits the requirements except there is no room service at the reg. part of the resort. But they make up for it by the free internet in the lobbies and the free spa use (and the spa is adult only territory). other then that and the location (1.5 hours from the airport) it fits well. They have 24/7 restaurant right on the beach where they cook fresh on order even at 1 am at night, we used that when arrived late. Huge pools and tons of entertainments.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Check out the Valentin Imperial Maya - I know it's not on your list and I don't know if it falls within budget but it certainly meets all the criteria mentioned.

FYI the Grand Sirenis requires reservations AND you're limited on your a la cartes. It's also a LONG way from the airport (a good 75 minutes drive).

washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

trying to narrow it down here,

Do you think the grand pallidium and blue bay esmeralda are in the same class? positive and negatives?

Do both have topshelf liquer? Either have cheap massages on the beach?

Which one do you think would have less kids at beginning of may?

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Have you checked out the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan? I believe it has the best beach on the strip and most of what you're looking for. Also only a $5 cab ride to Playa del Carmen!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

I do not think the Grand palladium and BBGE are in the same class - GP is about 1 level better, did you read the reviews?

GP is a very good resort with the good beach for both, swimming and snorkeling and people almost can not swim at BBGE as the water is very murky but to each on its own, do you like to swim at all? The pools are also huge and beautiful at GP. There are no cheap massages at any of the resort's beaches in Riviera Maya, you will have to go somewhere else for the cheap massage like to PDC. I know that at Catalonia Royal Tulum you can go along the beach and get the cheaper massage close by but not at GP or BBGE.

At the beginning of May there should not be many kids at either as the kids are still at school.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

I was in the same situation as you just 3 weeks ago!! I couldn't make my mind up but ultimately decided on the grand palladium Kantenah! Ive never been but purely from reviews and all the information on the Internet that's what in decided on!

I think you'd be happy at the colonial/kantenah but it's all very subjective! The only objective thing is that it does meet your requirement from my understanding but not with the room service! Depends if you will really miss room service... Would you rather go to the beach bar and have something next to the ocean... I know I would because I cant do that over here in the cold wet and overcast uk but I can definitely eat in my room!!

washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

ok, i am done searching! so pathetic how indecisive i am being when any trip tp mexico will be great:), i just always want to find the best for the least! LOL! Thank you everyone for your help!

couple questions though?

How do you know what side you are on at the Grand Pallidium Col/Kan? is one side better than the other location wise?

Is it worth the upbrade from standard to junior suite and whats the difference? do either have patios or balconies? for upgrading it would be 150.00 to upgrade to junior and 400 for mayan suite? whats the perks and do you think its worth the money? really not in the room much.

thanks for advice! Now just gotta get booked as fuel prices are killing my deals by the day! should have booked a month ago!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Two suggestions about the Palladium.

1. Visit http://www.palladiumaddict.net/ Lots of info there.

2. Post another thread in the Akumal forum with Grand Palladium in the topic. You will get more info that way.

EDIT: I see you have alreay been to the Akimal forum so scratch #2

Edited: 10 March 2011, 02:40
washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Thanks duckbilled:)! Will do!

somerset
Level Contributor
393 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: so confused please help deciding between these few resorts!

Hi there sometimes bar service at the adults pool in the colonial section. I hear the rooms are nicer in the man section. I like all that you have mentioned in your thread, but I would also prefer adults only. Saying that we went to the Colonial force weeks in May loved it so much my family and friends have stayed since and we are going back in a few weeks, I don't usually go back to the same resort. At the palladium you can also chill out at the spa for free, only pay for the treatments. There are 2 back bars in the beach both have good food and service. We loved the beach some rocks good for snorkeling and some sandy areas to splash about/ swim and cool off.