We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand riviera princess, riviera maya

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
grand riviera princess, riviera maya

My husband and I are fom Scotland coupe aged 50 - we booked this hotel prior to the accident and very recent reviews are of concern - we are going to this hotel on 4.6.11 and are beginning to think we have made a mistake - should we cancel? any comments appreciated

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
808 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand riviera princess, riviera maya

Hi knightanne,

I have been to this resort also before the accident and loved it so I did recommend it to a girlfriend of mine. She went last month and loved it as much as we did so I don't think much has changed. I wouldn't take alot of the reviews to heart as the resort I'm going to tomorrow has had plenty of bad ones as well but I just ignore them. Have an awesome trip :)

Michelle

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: grand riviera princess, riviera maya

Hi

We are travelling as a family party in 4 weeks to this hotel. Could you please advise of this accident as we don't know anything about it. Also could you please let us know what the hotel is like. We understand that you now need to take Mexican money rather than US Dollars (inc for tips) would greatly appreciate your reply.

Many Thanks

South Florida
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand riviera princess, riviera maya

In November of last year there was an explosion in the Platimun lounge that included fatalities. The investigation concluded th ehotel was not guilty of negligence. the lounget is currently being rebuilt.

The Hotel is fabulous, huge though, we had a great time there. Just returned yesterday. I will post my review soon

We paid for everything in dollars in and out of the resort. Only paid for minor things in pesos at a few local shops primarily because the exchange rate is so poor at certain place. I just got $1,000 MX pesos. All tipping I did in US dollars. Except for some loose change.

illinois
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand riviera princess, riviera maya

Our family was just there aug 2-9, 2011. We knew about the gas explosion but still went there. Our experience was they booked us for one night in a one bed room for three people. When they changed our rooms they had us waiting for the bus boy for two and half hours . I tried to tell the front desk I'll move our luggage ourself but they said we couldn't. They have all there venders on the beach and chairs further behind them. The venders obstructed the our views of the sea. Lucky I read on TA of the chill out area. We paid the 10 dollars per chairs and had great beach side service and view. It was less crowded too. The property is slippery. None of us fell but we saw others. The ala car restaurants were good. Buffets were average. Show we saw we didn't care for. The bands were really good. Hope this helps!

5. Re: grand riviera princess, riviera maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 05:17