We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

I'm traveling in June to Riviera Maya with my husband and two young children. A lot of pp I've spoken to have said I'm crazy for wanting to go to Mexico with all the things that has been going on with drug and gang crime. Is there anything I should worry about. I"ve been to Cancun before in 05 and there were no issues, in fact it was a wonderful honeymoon/trip.

Just wanted to have some peace of mind from anyone who has been there lately. How is the safety in those areas? Thank you.

CNC from RI.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

Your friends are crazy...When I go to the USA, I say thank you for me moving to Mexico 15 years ago.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

Really? Thats great. So I shouldn't worry about it? So where are the crimes happening? Is the news all hyped up and I"m worrying for nothing?

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

Can't wait for my trip!!!!!!!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

the concern would be the education level of the people you alk to. the yucatan is very safe for tourists.

KC MO
Level Contributor
614 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

Hi,

We are here now and we brought with us are adult children and 7 year grand daughter. One of our girls was feeling a little nervous about the trip due to the crime in Mexico. We convienced her she would be safe. She walks all over town with her 7 year old and feels perfectly safe. We are staying in Puerto Morelos and have been to Cancun Centro to the market.

I guess you need to think of it like this. If there are riots in California would that stop you from going to North Carolina. The Yucatan is very far from the areas that are effected by the crime you hear about on the news. It's beautiful and safe. As always you should use good judgement regardless of where you live or travel.

So you and friends are not crazy it's just a location isssue. Come down and have wonderful vacation.

JDKC

Edited: 06 May 2011, 04:34
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html

notice the Yucatan Penn. is not mentioned in this article!

and one more...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k44563…

Edited: 06 May 2011, 18:01
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

JDKC,

Thanks for your input. This helps alot. Really looking forward to our trip now.

Heading to Barcelo Maya Caribe and Beach.

And Cormacc55 thanks for the article. This really helps.

Night

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

Hi Nightcha,

I will give you my 2 cents! I have been going to this area for years and never had any issues whatsoever! I just got back 3 weeks ago and my sister and I had a great time with no issues,crime or anything else! If everyone listened to everything their friends said no one would ever go to Mexico and experience the beautiful people and scenery!! Go and have a wonderful time!!

Michelle

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

Michelle.

Thanks for you input. This makes me feel alot better. Don't know why I was worried. I didn't think anything of it when I booked the trip. But once pp found out I was going there, they kept trying to scare me. But I'm so glad I've gotten such a great response from everyone. Thanks so much.

Night

9. Re: Safety in the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 14:18