We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

Dear TA family-

I am planning a SB trip w/ my family (me, dh, and three 15 year old boys). I originally was looking at one of the Barcelo properties, but after reading a lot of input regarding wild spring breakers...have narrowed it down to either an Iberostar (Del Mar or sister property), or Grand Palladium (Kantenah or sister property). Here are my questions:

1)Is one clearly a better choice over the other for minimizing a "girls gone wild" spring break experience? It seems like both properties discourage it...but is one a clear winner in this category? We are fairly laid back, and the occassional run in with a group of drunk teens will not ruin our vacation, but I also would prefer to limit this.

2) Do you have access to motorized beach activites (I realize it will cost extra) at both places? Things like parasailing and banana boats really appeal to my boys.

3) As far as organized things for the younger teens..what are your experiences?

I realize that many would just choose to go at another time of year, but unfortunately-this is the time of the year we can go! iberostar would cost more due to their occupancy restrictions during SB (and their cancellation policy is very rigid!) but the property looks fantastic!

Any help is appreciated, I realize this is a tired subject...but I have read so many threads now...I am confused! Will we completely regret going at this time of year?

-Kelly

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

Yikes! this board moves fast-should I post this on the forum for a particular area of the Riviera Maya?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

We have never been to Riv. Maya during spring break. However, we have been to Grand Pal. Kantenah, Barcelo Maya Tropical & Palace and we are going to Iberostar Lindo in the fall. Between the Barcelo and Grand Pal. - we liked Barcelo better (but it's also more expensive) than Grand Paladium, but they're both nice. We went to Barcelo over Thanksgiving last year (another busy travel time) - it did get pretty crowded, but mostly families, not so many young singles. Not real sure about spring break, but from what I've read Riv. Maya generally has much less of the young partying types than Cancun - I would definitely avoid Cancun during Spring Break!

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

Thanks, LindaIllinois! We were really initially leaning towards the Barcelo properites (they look fantastic!), but have read on these boards that they seem to welcome springbreakers. (I would love to hear from anyone that went to Barcelo as a family in March and felt it was not that bad!). I will have to take another look at them...and am glad that you enjoyed the Palladium. It is so hard to decide. Thanks again for your input.

-kelly

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

kelly1119; We are like you and can only travel duuring school break. We have been to the Palladium twice during Easter which is break time for many areas, and although it was busy with lots of kids and families, we did not experience problems with spring break crowds.

utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

Went to GP in 2010 for spring break w/ 17 & 14 yr old boys. Loved it! Snorkeled right off the beach, not too many young partiers. Food was good, good activities, toke collectivo right outside of resort & went to Akumal to snorkle with sea turtles, went to ruins in tulum & shopped in playa. My boys loved the 24 hr snack bar.

Texas
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

I too am going to vote for the Palladium. We went for the first time beginning of August. There is so much for your teens to do, the resort is huge ,they have a teen club they can hang out in and there is lots of evening entertainment. They would love snorkling there and its close to Akumal to do fun stuff like swim with turtles and Ya Ku Lagoon. I have also stayed at Barcelo Palace and Iberostar Maya. They are both beautiful properties. Barcelo has a lovely waterpark for the small kids but nothing really to do in the evenings other than the shows. You have to stay at the Palace to get full run of the entire resort. Iberostar also has a step system so if you stay at Del Mar you only have 2 properties to run around. At the Palladium you can run around 4 properties, eat and drink all over and they have 24 hour beach bars which is really neat. You will love the wildlife at the Palladium, might even share your sunbed with an iguana!! I think its the best place for teens, they will never get bored. Just my opinion.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

Thank you, thank you, thank you for everyone's input! Just seeing the great responses to the Palladium makes me feel better. Their cancellation policy is a little easier to live with as well.

Regards,

kelly

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

The nice thing about the Pallidium also, as opposed to both the Barcelo and the IB, is that you have unlimited ala cartes and you do not need to make reservations for them either!

The Pallidium is a good ride from the airport, (about 1 1/2 hrs), and is close to Akumal and Tulum. Barcelo is also near here. The IB is much closer to the airport, I'll say about 30-40 mins. and is closer to PM which is a nice town to visit and has a decent reef not far from it for snorkeling. Its also much closer to PDC and Cancun for shopping or PDC for the ferry to Cozumel.

I'm not sure if any of this matters, but thought I would add this to your list in case it does :~)

Micki

Edited: 30 August 2011, 23:55
Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

I believe if you stay at Iberostar Lindo, Maya or Grand you can go to an ala carte each night of your stay.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Pallidium vs. iberostar family spring break

Have not stayed at either, but Akumal is now an hour (sometimes less) from the airport since they opened the new overpass in Playa del Carmen and GP is just a bit north of there (maybe $10-12 taxi ride one way?). That is of course if you take a private transfer (or drive).