We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Riviera Maya?"

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Riviera Maya?"

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are considering staying for 7 nights at the Grand Palladium resort in Riviera Maya. I have heard wonderful things about Mexico's culture, people, beaches, food, etc and would love to go but I am very concerned by all of the recent reports of drug violence throughout the country.

Is Riviera Maya a safe place to travel for vacation as a tourist? Is there a history of drug-related violence in the area? Are we taking a risk with our safety by going there?

Would appreciate any advice that anyone has.

Thank you!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Riviera Maya?"

I have been going twice a year and have never had or seen any problems in this area. Yes there are places in Mexico that have problems but they are thousands of miles away! Just use your common sense and dont get all liquored up and wander around by yourself. My sister and I always go into town by ourselves and our biggest problem has been where to eat ;)

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Riviera Maya?"

The violence is not throughout the country as you stated. I have lived here for over 15 years and have yet to see a single drug cartel member nor have I seen drug related violence. I've seen many moto accidents in my time however.

You will have a great time along with the millions of other visitors to Mexico.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Riviera Maya?"

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. We booked our trip and our very excited :)

4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Riviera Maya?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 10:18