We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

We just received some unexpected news and have to change our travel plans. To make a long story short we were set to board our plane tonite when my dad had an unexpected brain aneurysm. He's set for surgery in the AM and needless to say if we went on holidays my mind just wouldn't be there. Air canada was gracious enough to allow us to change our flights to next week free of charge. Although, sunwing did charge a $500 change fee, but that is better than losing the entire amount.

We are travelling with 2 small children aged 6 and 3 and were previously booked into Azul fives but they no longer have any rooms avail for the new dates (mar 07 -14). which is a bummer as we had did a fair amount of research.

we basically have to choose a hotel from the below site by tomorrow night and are looking for input from other board members.

http://www.sunwing.ca/

in order importance things we value most are:

1. food/dining (not looking for gourmet or fine dining but wants options other than buffet)

2. cleanliness of rooms and resort (prefer somewhat newer resort)

3. service

4. price ($3000 and under)

4. beach and pool (kid friendly)

through our limited research we are leaning toward Dreams Tulum which we are getting for $2867 for hotel only for this period (Mar 7 - 14)

any assistance/suggestions are appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

My only suggestion is to other travellers that this demonstrates why trip insurance is so so important. I hope you father heals quickly and with ease!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

I did not mean to sound insensitive. I don't stay in resorts so am no help with that aspect.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

My virus/spyware protection is going crazy when I try to go on the Sunwing site. Can you list out the resorts you have to choose from?

Without seeing your other choices, the Barcelo Maya might be a good option with little ones. The beach there is gorgeous and they have some super-kid-friendly waterpark type pools.

Best wishes to your father for a full and speedy recovery.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

Some of our options include: Riu lupita, viva wyndham maya, Grand sunset princess, Sandos caracol eco resort, Aventura cove palace, Gran bahia principe tulum, Iberostar paraiso, Barcelo maya tropical, Smile at aventura cove, dreams puerto aventuras, grand palladium riviera, Sapphire riviera cancun, Moon palace golf and spa, Grand yucatan princess, And dreams riviera canun

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

I can see that they have Grand Palladium Riviera suites category available, this is an excellent choice for the families with the kids as you actually get 2 rooms unit with the privacy for mom and dad, and they have unlimited no reservation alacartes there. The only problem is that the resort is big but if you get familiar with the plan you'd figure out how to get to the buffets/restaurants area fast. There is a zero entry pool by the Riviera and the kids club. And the best part is that 2 kids stay free so the cost is only $2504 for the best room you can get. I suggest you to use their kids club and to go to the spa, it is free to use and you get to have your own adult only time - the spa is adult only territory. As soon as ou book, send them an e-mail asking to get into villa # 60 or 61 - tell them that you are traveling with 2 small kids, it is closer to the beach.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 03:19
WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

You seem to have a lot of good choices, I would pick a resort closer to the airport-more time on vacation and cheaper transfers:-), hope your dad does well after surgery. Not sure how much trip insurance would have cost you, but 500 for rescheduling 4 people is not too bad. The Adventura Palace looks really nice. The Dreams are always a good bet too.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
269 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

Barcelo Tropical or Grand Palladium would be my choices hands down...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad and a good vacation for your family.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

Out of the ones you've listed I'd go with Grand Palladium. Went there last year and it's my favorite so far. If you want lots and lots of info about it go to palladiumaddict.net. There's a forum on there as well and they will answer any questions about that hotel in particular.

Good luck!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

Question: out of the 3 dreams resorts in the mayan (dreams riviera cancun, dreams tulum & dreams puerto aventuras) which one is best in terms of dining, rooms and proximity to airport??

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: change of plans - have to make decision in next 24 hours

dreams tulum & dreams puerto aventuras are located at about the same distance as Barcelo and Palladium, dreams riviera cancun is located much closer to the airport but the beach is not the greatest there.