We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

milano
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

Hi!

we will be flying to Cancun and we will be staying at Iberostar at Playa for 8 days. I need to take with me a prescribed drug - in US the name is Percocet - acetaminophen and oxycodone a narcotic drug for severe pain.

I have the medical prescription stating that I need it, with my name, address, doctor name, phone, ...but here in Italy the drugs do not came in bottle with your name,....they are in the original branded box without any labels with name. I take only one pill a day but the original box contains 28 pills, much more that what I will need in Mexico. Can someone confirm to me that it is okay to bring this drug with medical prescription to Mexico? And that the number of pills will not be a problem? And, it is better to declare it at custom?

Thanks!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

I would: bring 8 of them in the box along with the prescription. Can your doctor sign the prescription, too?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

I would bring a few more - you never know if your return gets delayed somehow. I would keep them in the safe as well. I take prescription meds everytime, no problems, no questions. No notice. No nothing. Just have them in the original bottle/box with your Dr. contact info. on it.

milano
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

So, you are suggesting to cut the blister and take, let's say just 10 pills. And, put them inside the original box.

I could ask my doc. to put his stamp with his name and contact number on a white label and put it on the box.

And, yes the prescription is signed by the doctor and is valid for 15th days.

Did you declared the drug to the custom at Cancun airport?

Many Thanks!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

I don't think you need to declare it. If they find it, you have the prescription for it along with the original box. It is pretty clear you are not going to distribute it with that small quantity.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

I've never declared any meds. They are prominately carried in my purse and go thru the xray conveyor. Do not carry in checked baggage. This questions comes up often and I've never heard any problems.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

But do you carry Class 1 Narcotics? Maybe they have to be declared? I just don't know.

Bubetta - as was said earlier, lock the meds in the room safe. These have a street value.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

Here's you answer, I think:

"[M]edicines for personal use, provided that prescription must be submitted for psychotropic drugs"

This is from the Mexican customs card you complete when you enter Mexico.

So, bring your prescription, keep it with your pills, and you don't need to declare anything.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 20:39
milano
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug

I will lock them in the safe, thanks for this suggestion!

And yes, is a mexican Class I

The name of the drug in Mexico is

PLEXICODIM*

TABLETAS

Oxicodona y paracetamol

Analgésico narcótico

milano
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Travelling with prescribed narcotic drug