We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

We will be in Riviera Maya in 3 weeks and can't wait! This will be our first time to the area. We have been to Cabo-where we went on a ATV ride to a secluded beach and loved it-along with going out to Lands End on a glass bottom boat and enjoyed it. However, on our last trip to DR we went on an all day excurrsion that sounded great but it ended up being not so great and a lot farther away than we had been told. It was not worth the lost day at the resort. We have been looking at excurrsions and ones that keeps getting our attention is Xel-Ha- & ATV tours. The question we have-is it worth going to and spending the day at or can we do most of the same things at our resort? We will not be doing the extra things (swim with . . . .).

If you have been to Xel Ha-what was your favorite part or if you have been on 1 of the ATV rides-which 1 & what was your favorite thing about it? Thanks for your help!!!

Aventuras Mayas
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Archaeology Tours
Rent Buggy
Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Mexxtremo Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours
Absolute Adventure Mexico
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Archaeology Tours
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

Have not done an ATV tour so cannot comment on that. I have been to Xel Ha twice and loved it. The first time was the Tulum/Xel Ha tour and it was a long day and I didnt feel we had enough time at Xel Ha. So the next time we went to Xel Ha on our own. We snorkeled at Xel Ha, we did an activity called "snuba"---its like a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving, we floated down the river and went in an underwater cave. We had so much fun and going on our own was great because we got there when we wanted and left when we wanted.

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

We are going in September - and I'm on the same page as you - while I would love to go somewhere like Chichen Itza - I don't want to be away a whole day doing one or two things. We are going to do Xplor - they have "ATV" type vehicles you can do as well as swimming and rafting in caves and zip-lining. Depending on which resort you are staying at you may be able to snorkel right on-site (we are staying at the Royal Suites on the Grand Palladium site so they are supposed to have decent snorkeling right there). We are also planning a half day trip on our own to Tulum. Cabo is very different than most of this area of Mexico - in Los Cabos the activites are right there, it's easy to get to the marina and grab a boat to go see the arch, etc. The tours of the area don't take a whole day, etc.

The ATV tours I've looked at in RM look like they include a lot of activity and distance - not just a run from base in Cabo to the pacific side for a rip on the beach - most of them include a cenote swim and trip through the jungle, etc. While I know we would enjoy ripping through the jungle I'm hoping hubby will be just as happy with the different type of vehicle at Xplor and the zip-lining wil make up for it!

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

Thank you both for your help!

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

When you went on your own did you get a taxi or how did you get there?

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

I know you can get a taxi to take you - but these places also seem to be on the main highway so you can take the collectivo instead. That's what we plan to do for ourselves while we're there. (Kind of like when we were in San Jose and took the public bus into Cabo - you just stand on the side of the road and they stop and pick you up - it was fun and safe!)

Edited: 18 June 2012, 19:40
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

We arranged a car at our resort. We just went to the lobby told the front desk our plans and they called a car. We negotiated a price that we were happy with and the driver took us to Xel Ha. We also arranged for him to pick us up and he was there waiting at the agreed upon time. But there were plenty of taxis outside Xel Ha had we not already had an arranged driver to pick us up.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

Thanks!

Texas 123 7-do you remember how much you paid for the round trip ride?

pennslyviania
Level Contributor
78 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

We love Xelha, we just took the entire family back and returned today. It is an all invclusive. We spent the entire day there. Get there by 9,

My husband and I went there in December and decided to take the family there. It is our new favorite place to go.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

I think Xel-ha is absolutely worth a full day - there is a lot to do that is included in the admission price - snorkeling, ziplining into the water, cliff jumping, inner tubing through mangroves, bike riding, etc. Just walking along the path was fun too and it is really beautiful.

10. Re: Is Xel-Ha worth spending day at? ATV tour?? Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:41