We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

My girlfriend and I are traveling in December for 7 days - this will be her first AI. Can anyone who has been to either or both please give their opinion on which is a better stay? We are really wanting an adult only AI with a nice beach, good rooms, and good food. We don't need a lot of entertainment and really just want to relax. I have found deals for Ocean Maya Royal for about $400 cheaper for the 2 of us than Catalonia Royal, but CRT seems to get better reviews on the beach and food. Thoughts? Any help is much appreciated!!!

indy
Level Contributor
238 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

We were at the CRT three years ago and just returned from the Ocean Maya a few weeks ago. We enjoyed both resorts. The CRT has the better beach and the water is really clear. The water is really murky and has a lot of seaweed at the Ocean Maya. If you are just wanting to sit at the beach then it is fine. I actually thought the food, pools, and rooms were better at the Ocean Maya though. We would go back to either resort.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

Appreciate the response. If the water is murky there at Ocean maya, is it far to get to an area on the beach where we could swim and/or snorkel?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

The Catalonia Royal Tulum has no ocean view rooms. The rooms are all in the jungle with a short walk to the pools and beach. Don't know if that is important to you.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

If you go onto the Xpuha Forum you can message Carolyn who is a resort expert on CRT. I believe I have read that there is an area to snorkle. CRT always seems to be booked when we want to go. It sounds like a layed back type of resort with many return customers.

We went to VIM this year for a few hundred more than CRT at the suggestion of our Travel Agent. She said that the rooms were much more of an upgrade and there was more offered at the resort. We had a great time, good food, fabulous rooms, nice beach and pools. Great value for what we paid.

indy
Level Contributor
238 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

There is a lagoon about a 15 minute walk from Ocean Maya where the water is very clear, but not deep. I would probably go to Akumal for a day to snorkle. Have you looked at the Palladium, we were there in October and you could snorkle right off the resort. Stayed at their adult only section (Royal Yucatan) really enjoyed it.

6. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or Ocean Maya Royale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:15