We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10th Anniversary...Where to go?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10th Anniversary...Where to go?

My wife and I have never been to the Caribbean. We are planning a trip to the Riviera Maya in January 2013. We don't want the crowded beaches of PDC. We are looking at the area from Puerto Adventuras south to Akumal. We understand there is great snorkeling and also great beaches, although some areas are pretty rocky. We can't decide between Gran Bahia Coba, Grand Palladium Kantaneh, And Barcelo Maya Palace. Another option would be the Valentin, but I'm not sure what the beach is like there, or if there is good snorkeling. We really want a resort with nice amenities and clean rooms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

1st : welcome to Trip Advisor

Palladium would be my choice or CRT

Most of the time great beaches do not equal great snorkeling

Palladium and Barcelo have great beaches and good snorkeling

Bahia is soso in both categories

Valentin - is there snorkeling there??

Why not try an adult only - fantastic beach - CRT (Catalonia Royal Tulum resort)

Edited: 23 August 2012, 03:55
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

I agree with CRT in that Xpuha beach is beautiful and not crowded. Plenty of room for beach walking. But I hear the food is a bit meh.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

You cant have great Snorkeling without Rock Beaches. White Sandy Beaches and Snorkeling do not exist. You need Coral to make it work. A day trip to Cozumel will set you straight.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

Thanks for the feedback. I understand about the sandy bottom not being good for snorkeling. We would prefer a good sandy beach that is only a short cab ride from good snorkeling. As far as CRT goes, I have heard nothing but great things about it, but seeing a pic of the front of the building scared my wife a bit. How do the rooms compare with some of the other choices. Are the beds comfortable? Are the rooms clean?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

We decided on Barcelo Maya Palace. It sounds like they have great swimming in some spots and great snorkeling in others. It is also Full-AI which we like. Does anyone have experience with this resort?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

Barcelo Maya is a GREAT choice if you want a mixed beach - it's sandy at one end (perfect for lounging and swimming) and rocky at the other (great for snorkelling) AND there's a dock that you can start your snorkelling from.

For information on all things Barcelo Maya, check out http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/ They do have a forum there but it doesn't seem to be as active as the TA ones, so I'd politely suggest you wade through the plethoria of info on that site but come back here if you have specific questions.

Good luck and happy anniversary!

7. Re: 10th Anniversary...Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:16