We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help going to Coba

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help going to Coba

We are Mexico newbies-- but are experienced independant travelers. We have an Apple "Square Deal" for Dreams Mexican Riveria and will want to go to Coba. Yucatreks looks great--but we don't know where we will be.

We do not want a cattle call bus tour. We need suggestions. Should we rent a car? Find a Taxi? If we are close to a town find a driver/taxi tour company? Contact a tour company when we are there? Take a bus? I suspect booking through a tour desk at the resort is like booking a tour on a cruise--something we would never do.

In the past we have used public transportation in Europe--or found a driver when we cruise in port--or found a driver through cruisecritic or tripadvisor or rented a car (Santorini was super!!)

This Mexican AI thing is a new experiment for us so please help!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
YucaTreks
YucaTreks
623 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help going to Coba

I do not know where your hotel is and thus suggestions to modify what I did...but here is how I did it

http://tinyurl.com/26f992f

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help going to Coba

If you are at Dreams Riviera Cancun, that appears to be not far north of Puerto Morelos. If I were to do it on my own, I would probably take a taxi to the ADO bus stop (southbound) at the Puerto Morelos stop on the main highway.

Catch a cheap bus ride to Play del Carmen.

Check out the buses to Coba at

ticketbus.com.mx and select the English option at the upper right.

You have several in the morning. Some might leave from the Alternate station so leave ten minutes or so extra in case you have to take a cheap taxi from the main station to the Alternate.

Then you are where I was on my trip. Only buy a one way ticket. When you get there...or in PDC, check on return buses. Or take a taxi like I did.

Sounds like you can deal with this even as a newbie to the area.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ado
Ado
593 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
The Carmen Hotel
The Carmen Hotel
644 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help going to Coba

Yucatrecks pick up at hotels south of Playa. For anyone staying north of Playa, you meet them in town. You can e mail Shawn or Mitch and explain what the situation is, that you're not sure which Dreams hotel you'll be at until you get to the airport on departure day. I imagine they would be happy to book you as long as you contact them via phone or e mail as you as you know which hotel you're at. As long as the tour isn't the very next day, I think they'd be ok with this. And their tours are great, the way to go if you ask me. Takes the hotel situation of how to get there, how to arrange, hire a guide, etc. out of the mix.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help going to Coba

The bus is a good method. Renting a car for the day also easy and better to create your own itinerary. Cost maybe $50-$60. Driving straight down to Tulum on modern highway to the Coba road, nice road. Do read up on driving in the area. Should take around 2-2/12 hours no matter the method, though car wil make it easier to stop at points of interest, shops, stops along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help going to Coba

rent a car and drive over there.

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help going to Coba

We went by car last year. Picked up the car in Playa del Carmen and had it for 10 days while we explored the area. Once on site at Coba, there are guides at the gate available for hire. We went in on our own at first, but the distances between ruins are quite significant. We ended up renting a guide/bicycle for the last half of the trip and it was well worth it. We did some travelling in the Yucatan during our stay, and the buses and collectivos are a great way to go.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help going to Coba

I usually split transportation methods between buses and a rental car, depending on my destination or how many stops I have planned (or unplanned!). Coba admission is $4, guides run$35-$40 for about an hour. You could try pairing/sharing with another family or couple to offset. They will really tell you about this great city, civilaization and folklore at the mostly excavated buildings near the front. Rent a $10 bike or pedicab (rikshaw type thing seats two) to get back to the climable pyramid and other buildings. The pedicab guy usually will be a pretty good "guide" too.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help going to Coba

Obviously a car is the best for flexibility. My method from Post #1 is for those who do not wish to rent a car and want to avoid time structured tours.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help going to Coba

Of course! I always recommend the public transportation. It's very good and there is no language barrier either. The drivers are well versed in English and someone will always be willing to help.

10. Re: Help going to Coba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 09:18