We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

police/guards with machine guns

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Topic
police/guards with machine guns

Went to Wally-mart for a shopping excursion (in March) and there were so many armed guards, in behind trees and all around the parking lot. I felt a little uneasy about all this. Is this normal around shopping centers?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,090 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: police/guards with machine guns

You should actually feel safer

In the fight against the drug cartels, there are military checkpoints on the hwy and at other key locations

I guess wallly-mart must be a key strategic military location

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: police/guards with machine guns

We have been going/traveling in the region for the past 18 years and we have always seen this to a greater or lesser extent throughout the Riviera Maya and surrounding areas. What does change is the number of them at different locations at different times. It did surprise me the first time (18 years ago) I saw them but now I hardly notice them.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,835 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: police/guards with machine guns

I agree with Bob. In all my years of travel and living in the area, it has become such a commmon site that I really pay no attention.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: police/guards with machine guns

I agree it can be disconcerting; I was first exposed to such things in the airport in Paris about 25 years ago. Have dealt with this in many areas and I always feel better that the military and police are out there watching out for both locals and tourists alike. The only place I have ever been uncomfortable was in Guatemala, though that could have had something to do with my already being nervous because people got me all scared about the border crossing. We went from Belize to Guatemala and the political issues between the two can sometimes cause issues.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: police/guards with machine guns

A lot of people from the UK get really suprised to see armed police everywhere when they first travel abroad as outside of Northern Ireland and an airport is is highly unusual to see a cop with a gun. It happens occasionly but the area usually blocked off first, except in an emergency. In most countries the police are armed though. As a Canadian, don't you have a big hunting tradition? (I do appriciate that people don't hunt with SMG's though!)

Reminds me of my first trip on a French train. Police were obviosly looking for someone and this little kid pipes up, (in English) "Mummy, Mummy, that policeman's got a gun!" Normal in most places - not in England!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: police/guards with machine guns

Experienced the same 40 years ago in Paris and 35 years ago in Yucatan. It's pretty normal in many parts of the world.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: police/guards with machine guns

I should feel safer with this? When I've heard stories of how corrupt the police can be. With that said tho, I felt very safe in Playa.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: police/guards with machine guns

traveling isnt necessarily about feeling safe. there is a level of risk involved whenever you travel.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: police/guards with machine guns

They had just received a new shipment of Tab soft drink and Schlitz beer and were there to prevent rioting if they ran out.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: police/guards with machine guns

ha-ha, cute CO_Pilot......I can see that happening too, some people are very particular about certain brands, lol!