We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

This will be our first trip through the Cancun airport and I've been reading up on these boards how to navigate the time share sellers, customs, etc. It sounds a bit crazy!

I did a search and found a lot of posts saying not to let the porters take your bags because they'll expect a tip. We WANT to use a porter - we will be arriving with a young child and an infant, and my DH has a bad back (as anyone who has travelled with young kids knows, travelling light is not an option!). Since we can't take the luggage carts out of the airport, it seems like a porter is the only way to go.

Can anyone tell me: when can we get a porter (right after customs?), how we identify a legitimate porter, and how much do you tip?

We have a prearranged transfer with Best Day.

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,828 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

For many years, when I traveled with family, we used the porters. And, of course, they expect a tip, thats the reason they are there. You wont have any problem identifying them. Only autorized porters are allowed into the area and they will have their cart to transport your luggage.

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

Thanks for the info and reassurance! That makes sense and is like every other airport I've ever been to.

Smithers
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

I did not realize there were real porters! lol I thought all those people were timeshare sharks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,828 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

The real porters are as you leave immigration and customs. No timeshare guys there yet, fortunately. I understand the porters have a union, as do many workers in Mexico, and doubt the timeshare guys will mess with them.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 03:16
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

Can the porters take your bags outside of the airport? Like to the area to wait for your private transfer or car rental shuttle?

It seems like we had a porter once when we were noobs and he dropped our bags right at the exit door to the airport and we had to schlep them outside to catch our car rental shuttle. He barely transported them at all.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

I am also interested in using the porter service as I have a shoulder injury but would like to know the same as BIG D asked , will the porter take my bags to the transfer vehicle or will he just stop at the airport terminal exit ?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

We travel through CUN at least twice per year, just came back a few weeks ago, we always take the luggage cart with luggage right through the airport lobby past the time share people, outside the sliding doors to find / meet our driver and the driver always takes our cart with the luggage on it and right to his vehicle in the center isle, never had a problem yet, never needed a porter.... we see others doing the same each trip. We use www.cancuntransfers.com all the time.... although we see other company's drivers doing the same right along side of us.

8. Re: Cancun Airport Porters - anyone use them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:19