We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
195 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

Less than 8 weeks to go and we're checking out what tours we're going to book when we get there! According to Lomas Travel website the above mentioned biodegradeable items are recommended, not sure whether what I've already purchased is. Will I be okay to use regular deet repellent and Nivea/P20 suncreams?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

Without being familiar with either product, I would probably say no. Both are probably not what is considered 'reef safe' because of the chemicals. Lomas Travels can probably provide you with a bottle of sunscreen for about $10.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 21:06
Canada
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

the bad ingredients are ... Oxybenzone (benzophenone-3), Butylparaben, Octinoxate, and 4-methylbenzylidene camphor

Deet for mosquitos is the best.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 22:03
San Diego
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

Bought some Reef Safe on Amazon; $6. 4 weeks and counting!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,709 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

reef safe - great - what is the brand name?

5. Re: Biodegradable Suncream/Sunblock/Repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 06:18